Thread: bulk directory rename

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

bulk directory rename

I am looking for a way to bulk rename directories. I prefer Graphical. I have hundreds of folders with [1] at the end of the folder name and would like an easy way to do this like remove the last 3 or however many characters . I tried caja rename which deleted the whole folders! didn't even send them to trash. gprename won't open except a blank white box. pyrenmer was great but has disappeared upon upgrade to 20.04, so sad. Thunar rename also won't seem to rename folders, only files. Of course I could be stupidly missing something. Thank you.

Beans

Re: bulk directory rename

What version of Thunar are you using ? The bulk-rename in Thunar 1.6.15 on XUbuntu 18.04 will rename directories, at least it does for me if I select the directories (ctrl-s, enter '*[1]' into the form) and then start the renamer from the context menu and use the find-and-replace renaming method, set it to find '[1]' and leave the replacement field empty.

Holger

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Also have a try with gprename which you will have to install.
    I assume it will work on folders as well as files, but I haven't used it for a very long time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

qmv lets you use an editor - 2 columns - left is original name, right is the new name. If you are excellent with your editor of choice, this would be 10 seconds.

rename is a perl CLI tool. The regex matching would be funky for someone not used to perlre. There's a manpage about it (man perlre). Also, if the directories are all at the same level in the directory structure, that would make life a little easier. What should happen if the target (new name) already exists? That's a pretty big failure mode for any batch tool.
    Code:
    $ rename 's#\[1\]$##g'  bash-file-globbing-pattern
    With rename, the first character after the 's' is the regex separator. Often you'll see this as '/', but that can be confusing when other characters need to be escaped. Another often-used alternate regex separator is '|'. That's pretty safe. Metacharacters need to be escaped if you want them NOT to be used for the perlre meaning.

Or you could just create a list of all the directories you want using find - save that to a file. Then create a mv script from that list. That would have the most hands on - effectively doing what qmv does, just with more assurance.

Code:
    mv 'old_name[1]'    old_name
    mv 'really-old-name[1]'  really-old-name
    I've used this to rename hundreds of files before someone here recommended qmv. qmv changed my life.

I'd use qmv with vim as my editor, but vim can do columnar edits freakishly fast once you know how-to do it.
    Last edited by TheFu; January 21st, 2021 at 11:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

[Edit]Whoops...I see someone's already suggested the rename tool while I was typing my suggestion!

Holger, that's great to know that Thunar's bulk renamer works when it's invoked from within Thunar. I've tended to launch it as a separate, standalone tool, and so like the OP I thought for some reason it didn't work with directories. Great to know that it does.
    Last edited by simon-webb; January 22nd, 2021 at 12:11 AM.