Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to I revert back to an earlier version of Gimp -EXIF data problem with latest ver

Beans

How to I revert back to an earlier version of Gimp -EXIF data problem with latest ver

I'm having this EXIF data problem with the latest version of Gimp using a Pentax camera.

See: https://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gim...ata-stripped).Also see: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/2253

I would like to go back to GIMP 2.8.22 (or even
    GIMP 2.8.16)

How do I do this and also keep Ubuntu from updating Gimp to latest version during a software update..
    Last edited by jmichaels29; January 21st, 2021 at 02:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: How to I revert back to an earlier version of Gimp -EXIF data problem with latest

The first link that you gave is incorrect. Here's the corrected link.

Unfortunately, it seems that the only way to install an older version is to uninstall the version that you have, download the source code, and follow the instructions to compile it yourself.

That'll be a hassle, so if you're uncomfortable with doing that, you might have to stick with the workaround described in the link that you gave until GIMP is fixed.

Beans

Re: How to I revert back to an earlier version of Gimp -EXIF data problem with latest

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    The first link that you gave is incorrect. Here's the corrected link.

Unfortunately, it seems that the only way to install an older version is to uninstall the version that you have, download the source code, and follow the instructions to compile it yourself.

That'll be a hassle, so if you're uncomfortable with doing that, you might have to stick with the workaround described in the link that you gave until GIMP is fixed.

Thanks for correcting my dead link.

Instead of reverting to an older version of Gimp, I installed the "unstable" Beta version (2.99.4) which has the issue fixed.

I am curious how my Ubuntu automatic software updates will handle this Beta version - will it perhaps try to upgrade it to the latest stable released version in "Ubuntu Software" ? Should I attempt to put a "freeze" on the beta version?
    Last edited by jmichaels29; January 21st, 2021 at 08:17 PM.

Beans

I am curious how my Ubuntu automatic software updates will handle this Beta version
    It depends how the beta was packaged. If you used the Flatpak development repository on Flathub that Gimp suggests on the download page, then it will update automatically if you have Gnome Software installed along with gnome-software-plugin-flatpak. These updates through Gnome Software would be only to a newer Flatpak development version.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    It depends how the beta was packaged. If you used the Flatpak development repository on Flathub that Gimp suggests on the download page, then it will update automatically if you have Gnome Software installed along with gnome-software-plugin-flatpak. These updates through Gnome Software would be only to a newer Flatpak development version.
    Hmmm, the beta version (2.99.4) I installed is likely going to be a "more recent" version of Gimp than even the next stable version that is released. I wonder what it will do.

fyi: The Ubuntu Software "center" does not even recognize that I have the Gimp beta installed when I search for "Gimp." - it simply offers me the current stable version (2.10.22) to be installed.

Question: How could I see how the beta was packaged with a command line?
    Last edited by jmichaels29; January 22nd, 2021 at 04:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jmichaels29 View Post
    Instead of reverting to an older version of Gimp, I installed the "unstable" Beta version (2.99.4) which has the issue fixed.
    Good to know. Once the fix makes its way into the stable release, I would advise removing the beta version and installing the stable release, unless you're happy to continue to test the beta version.
    I am curious how my Ubuntu automatic software updates will handle this Beta version…
    The automatic updates won't downgrade your installed version. They might upgrade to a later beta version, depending on how you installed it.
    Should I attempt to put a "freeze" on the beta version?
    That might be possible, again depending on how you installed it.
    fyi: The Ubuntu Software "center" does not even recognize that I have the Gimp beta installed when I search for "Gimp."…
    Again, that depends on how you installed it.

Something to note is that the Ubuntu Software Store is incomplete, and doesn't recognise snaps and flatpaks. I advise that you uninstall the Ubuntu Software Store, and replace it with the Gnome Software Store, which is complete. I described the correct way in a post on an unrelated thread.
    Again, that depends on how you installed it. Tell us exactly how you installed the beta version, and we can answer this.

Beans

Hmmm, the beta version (2.99.4) I installed is likely going to be a "more recent" version of Gimp than even the next stable version that is released. I wonder what it will do.

fyi: The Ubuntu Software "center" does not even recognize that I have the Gimp beta installed when I search for "Gimp." - it simply offers me the current stable version (2.10.22) to be installed.

If the Flatpaks works like the Snaps, you stay in the same branch* that you installed from - in your case, the beta repo, I think. Snaps however will automatically change to the stable channel when there are no updates within a certain length of time. I don't know if that's true about Flatpaks.

Ubuntu Software does not update Flatpaks. You need to install Gnome Software + the flatpak plugin, and uninstall Ubuntu Software to keep the Flatpak apps updated, or update them from the command line: flatpak update.

flatpak list --app will display all flatpak applications you installed. My set of Flatpaks, all in the stable branch.

Code:
    dmn@Sydney:~$ flatpak list --app
    Name                   Application ID              Version Branch Installation
    Blanket                com.rafaelmardojai.Blanket  0.3.1   stable system
    ghostwriter            …hub.wereturtle.ghostwriter 1.8.0   stable system
    Bluefish               nl.openoffice.bluefish      2.2.10  stable system
    GNU Image Manipulatio… org.gimp.GIMP               2.10.22 stable system
    GNOME Maps             org.gnome.Maps              3.38.1  stable system
    Quadrapassel           org.gnome.Quadrapassel      3.38    stable system
    Meld                   org.gnome.meld              3.20.2  stable system
    Inkscape               org.inkscape.Inkscape       1.0.2   stable system
    Kate                   org.kde.kate                20.12.1 stable system
    KBlocks                org.kde.kblocks             20.12.1 stable system
    Krita                  org.kde.krita               4.4.2   stable system
    Okular                 org.kde.okular              1.11.3  stable system
    LibreOffice            org.libreoffice.LibreOffice 7.0.4.2 stable system
    Stellarium             org.stellarium.Stellarium   0.20.4  stable system
    * the corresponding Snap terminology is "channel".
    Last edited by Dennis N; January 23rd, 2021 at 01:59 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    Again, that depends on how you installed it. Tell us exactly how you installed the beta version, and we can answer this.
    Flatpak
    michael@michael-HP-EliteDesk-800-G1-SFF:~$ flatpak list --app
    Name Application ID Version Branch Installation
    GNU Image Manipulation Program org.gimp.GIMP 2.99.4 beta user

But if I check packages installed, this gimp data does pop up (even though it's not installed in Ubuntu software center)

[edited]
    michael@michael-HP-EliteDesk-800-G1-SFF:~$ apt list --installed
    gimp-data/focal,focal,now 2.10.18-1 all [installed,automatic]

or

michael@michael-HP-EliteDesk-800-G1-SFF:~$ apt -qq list gimp
    gimp/focal 2.10.18-1 amd64
    Last edited by jmichaels29; January 22nd, 2021 at 03:40 PM.

Beans

Code:
    michael@michael-HP-EliteDesk-800-G1-SFF:~$ apt list --installed
    gimp-data/focal,focal,now 2.10.18-1 all [installed,automatic]
    apt is only a package manager for .deb packages, so doesn't show any flatpaks in the listing.
    flatpak is the package manager for Flatpak packages.

Note: for Flatpaks, you can leave out the --app option when listing, and see the supporting packages (called runtimes) as well.
    flatpak --help will show all the possible options you can use with the flatpak command.
    Last edited by Dennis N; January 22nd, 2021 at 04:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro

To add to what @Dennis N said, to see all packages, you'd need three commands:
    Code:
    apt list --installed 'gimp*'  # Display all packages installed with DEB.
    flatpak list | fgrep gimp     # Display all packages installed with flatpak.
    snap list | fgrep gimp        # Display all packages installed with snap.
    Alternatively, if you've followed the instructions that I referenced in my earlier post, you can just use Gnome Software Store to view all three types of packages.
    Last edited by Paddy Landau; January 22nd, 2021 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Simplified

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast