Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error trying to start Lubuntu live with DVD

Beans

Error trying to start Lubuntu live with DVD

Hi, I'm new to Linux and wanted to use it to recover a Pentium 3 (768MB RAM, 20GB HDD). I therefore chose to use Lubuntu 16.04.3 32 bit Desktop version. I wanted to run it live using a DVD. Unfortunately it seems that the bios does not allow, or even I am not able to set it up, to use a self-starting USB drive. So I burned the iso image with Ashampoo. When I launch the system startup I get the error:

Error 8000 reading sector 450560
    No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
    boot:

I've read around that this error can happen but for USB drive installations. How should I behave in my case?
    Many Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Error trying to start Lubuntu live with DVD

Did you check the dvd for burning errors? That's my first guess for obscure booting errors on a live disk.

Further note that Lubuntu 16.04 is already end of life. The parts it has in common with Ubuntu 16.04 will reach end of life in 3 months. Lubuntu 18.04, which is the last version to support 32 bit systems, will reach end of life in 3 months too.

To be honest, I would hand such an old computer in for recycling.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Lubuntu 16.04 LTS being a flavor of Ubuntu had only 3 years of supported life (https://lubuntu.me/xenial-5-released/ http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2019/03/01/...-lts-released/) which ended 2019-April.

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Server (no desktop) or Desktop (Unity 7) have 5 years of supported life and are still supported. Refer release notes, or use `ubuntu-support-status` or your own system to confirm this is the case.

The error to me sounds like your ISO/media is faulty (did you check it's integrity; https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutoria...erify-ubuntu#0) and then then check the write to your installation media (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...IntegrityCheck)

I used pentium M & pentium 4 computers to test Lubuntu 18.04.5 LTS (August 2020), and later releases which are now EOL (eg. Lubuntu 18.10 & Lubuntu 19.04 in alpha), however I haven't used pentium II or III machines since maybe 10.04.

Beans

Did you burn the DVD as slowly as possible

Beans

I burned it at 2x with verify. I'll try to investigate the posts you suggested.
    Despite this could it be better to burn with the relative Windows utility?
    I read that someone uses ImgBurn. Can you suggest something of reliable?
    Another point: burning an iso image makes a dvd bootable by default or not?
    About the version, in the download page it seems the unique most recent to apply for a 32 bit system. There is also 19.4 but only as Alternate and maybe I'm wrong but the Desktop seems more indicated for little experience and a minimum of graphic support in order to use it live (at least as a very first beginning).

Beans

The sites from which you can download an Ubuntu iso (or derivative such as Lubuntu) almost always have instructions on doing an md5 or sha checksum so that you can verify the download was not corrupted. Not much point in burning an iso to a DVD or putting it on a usb if it is corrupt. When you write it to a DVD, the software you use should have an option similar to 'burn as an image' as simply copying it to the DVD will not make it bootable.

As pointed out by others, you are using an outdated and unsupported version of Lubuntu. Curious about how you managed to find that? How old is the computer hardware you are using?

Beans

Hi yancek and khurram83, the only thing I'm thinking is that I downloaded the iso with my phone and then I moved it on the pc for burning because currently it is not connected, maybe something has changed during the passage... Anyway definitively I must verify better the iso preparation.
    The available versions are on https://lubuntu.net/downloads/ and the latest is 19.4.
    The hardware is 2001 if I'm not wrong so a 32 bit distro is mandatory.
    It could be that there are others distros more supported for 32 bit but I need for a not expensive one as resource requirement (Puppy? Mint?....) and at the same time quite user-friendly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Please note that lubuntu.net is not the official website, and is not approved by Lubuntu. Lubuntu has asked the owner to close it down, but he refuses, even though it's badly out of date and keeps cropping up on internet searches. There's also no guarantee that the packages are correct.

The correct website is lubuntu.me.

The latest available 32-bit version is 18.04, which is supported for another two years or so. As Lubuntu thereafter supports only 64-bit, I would avoid it and try something that does support 32-bit.

A good alternative is Bodhi Linux. Although it's not an official Ubuntu derivative, it's based on Ubuntu and is quite popular, and might be able to cope with your ancient hardware! (Bodhi doesn't work with UEFI, but I'll bet that your hardware doesn't have it anyway.)

If even Bodhi is too much for your computer, try antiX Linux. It's based on Debian, but not Ubuntu. It comes with a light version and a "Full" version. The light version is lighter than Bodhi and might do the trick.

Keep us updated!
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The official site for Lubuntu is lubuntu.me, not lubuntu.net. That's an annoying cybersquatter.

The Pentium III is a 32 bit processor, so you can only use a 32 bit operating system. 19.04 was the last version of any Ubuntu flavour that supported 32 bit, bit it was an interim release with only 9 months support, so it's dead now. 18.04 was the last long term support release with 32 bit and is still supported. That's the only somewhat viable option to try in the Ubuntu family.

There are other Linux distros specifically targeting ancient hardware like yours. Whatever you try, you'll be severely limited in the kind of software you can run on that computer. It may still be a decent typewriter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

First of all, DEBIAN 32-bit or, eventually, some still supported derivative that still does 32-bit. As such, nothing from Ubuntu family. Yes, there was a time when a 32-bit Lubuntu would be the best option for such machine but we passed that point already. As commented before, the last Lubuntu 32-bit release will be EoL (end of life) in April. And, incidently, the website you downloaded Lubuntu from isn't official, it's a cybersquater. https://lubuntu.me/ is the official one.

Secondly, whatever you choose as distro you'll be facing the same problems with the installation media and with the ISO file. Also as commented above you need to have a proper download, then you need to burn it correctly - it's not a DVD-ROM with the ISO file inside, a software supporting drive image files (that's what an ISO is) must be used with the function to burn image to disk. Then, the drive in the target computer must support DVDs and, obviously, be in a working condition. Given the hardware's age neither is a given.

And unfortunately, unless you're into retrocomputing and have a clear idea of what to do with it, you're wasting your time (and electricity) with something of little to no use for the current requirements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast