Thread: Which bugs for CD installer crash attempting to install 3rd-party software?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question Which bugs for CD installer crash attempting to install 3rd-party software?

I ran into a problem installing Focal, as the installer app crashed attempting to install third-party software. I worked around it by delaying the third-party software until I had a clean install with open-source updates (the system needs the nVIDIA 390 drivers on account of the documentation-not-available nF780a), but a newbie might not know to work around this issue. Which bugs are relevant to the installer crash(es)? Links to the Pages at Launchpad woud be appreciated.

Update: 18.04.5-LTS Bionic installs without a hitch any which way. Suspect regression somewhere in the 20.04.1-LTS CD image.
    Last edited by bcschmerker; January 23rd, 2021 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Regression discovery.
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Lightbulb [ANSWER] Which bugs for CD installer crash attempting to install 3rd-party software?

Update: The crash is across distros for 20.04.1-LTS, and I got a Bug number for ubuntu-cdimage: #1871268 "Installation fails due to useless immediate configuration error when "Install Third-Party Drivers" is selected" -- confirmed ISO-installer regression first appearing April 2020. Will marked SOLVED upon (actual!) Fix Released.
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Cool [SOLVED] Which bugs for CD installer crash attempting to install 3rd-party software?

New CD Image ubuntu-20.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso terminates properly. Had post-installation snags with the msi® N610GT-1GD3-LP dismounted, chalked 'em up to an obsolete driver for the planar C77. Treating nvidia-340 as a WontFix; nvidia-*-390 work as advertised.