Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accessing Files on External Hard Drive

Beans

Accessing Files on External Hard Drive

Hello guys and girls.

After being very fed up with the performance of Windows 10 for a long while, I have made the jump today and switched over to Ubuntu.

Things seem promising so far. The programs that I have been struggling to use on Win 10 run much faster and smoother on Ubuntu.

One issue I have found though relates to my external hard drive. It is recognised and I can access all my files when I click on the specific icon for the drive yet I can't access the files when using other programs (for example the drive does not show when I trying to add a photo on Facebook while using the Brave browser).

Thank you in advance for any input.

Beans

Re: Accessing Files on External Hard Drive

Was your browser installed from a snap package ?

Beans

I downloaded Brave using the Ubuntu Software app.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fido1982 View Post
    I downloaded Brave using the Ubuntu Software app.
    I think the the Ubuntu Software application contains only the snap version, so try opening up the Brave page in the Software app and look for a permissions button, click on it and there should be an option to allow access to removable media.

Beans

I am afraid after clicking on that specific permission plus a number of others that sounded like they may help, I still can't upload / access directly from the external hard drive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fido1982 View Post
    I am afraid after clicking on that specific permission plus a number of others that sounded like they may help, I still can't upload / access directly from the external hard drive.
    Perhaps you need a restart of the browser to pick up the new settings, if you haven't already tried that ?

Beans

I tried restarting the browser and restarting the computer completely too. Thanks for your input thus far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Look for your external drive under /media.
    I think that's the problem all along. Even without the permission for accessing mass storage devices these are shown but often not as a convenient shortcut in the left column like they appear in the file manager.

Beans

No media option unfortunately and I checked all available options before I wrote the original post.

How frustrating!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes. it's frustrating because you don't understand. /media isn't an option, it's a folder under which all external media is typically mounted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast