Thread: Can't Install Win Game in Ubuntu 20.04. It Runs Good in 18.04 (different computer).

Beans

Can't Install Win Game in Ubuntu 20.04. It Runs Good in 18.04 (different computer).

I have a very simple Windows Sudoku game (Simple Sudoku) running fine in my Ubuntu 18.04 computer under Wine. I'm upgrading to a new computer running 20.04.1 but can't seem to get it to work in Wine.Have forgotten how I got it to work in 18.04 computer.

Tried to install Wine from Terminal. I thought it worked-I get:

[CODE]~$ wine --version
    wine-5.0 (Ubuntu 5.0-3ubuntu1)

.Wine is also a folder in HOME containing other folders like "dosdevices" and "drive_c"
    Makes me think Wine is installed

When I enter:
    [CODE]
    winecfg

The Wine configuration box pops up but no matter what I enter into it nothing happens.

I know the Win program isn't included in the Wine DB, but if it works in one computer, it should work in another running a similar OS.
    However the computer running the program successfully is

[CODE]
    wine --version
    wine-3.0 (ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1)

Do I need an older ver of wine and how do I get it?

I probably should enter more info from the older computer but am not sure which or what.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can't Install Win Game in Ubuntu 20.04. It Runs Good in 18.04 (different computer

You may try PlayonLinux as it allows the use of different Wine versions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Can't Install Win Game in Ubuntu 20.04. It Runs Good in 18.04 (different computer

or move the program from the old computer. it's not just config. you might have added some libraries to make it work and similar. also i just "battled" with Bioshock on proton, but then i read that it works fine on 3.8, so i just used that and it really works with no issues. sometimes older version works better.

Play on linux will help you manage versions and all more easy ...
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Thank you, CelticWarrior and mastablasta. I didn't know about PlayonLinux. I'll read up on it and give it a try. I had been using Wine on Ubuntu 14.04 for a business program several years ago, but how I configured it and why it worked was always a mystery to me.