Thread: mouse problems

Beans

mouse problems

Hi Ubuntu Forums,

I've been having a lot of problems with the mouse lately. For many years Xubuntu worked perfectly, then this just started to happen. I posted about this last week and people suggested it might be the windows manager. At first I agreed, but I did some testing on Openbox (I use Xfce) and encountered the same problems.

Basically, I'm having problems everywhere you use a mouse. For examples, opening and closing a menu goes very fast, I click on a folder and it just opens, I click on a tree widget and it opens and closes too fast, I am having problems dragging open applications, etc. Also, text selection is messed up. So I start to select text, I select half and then the selection is dropped.

I'm looking at the Gtk settings right now, but I thought I would post and see if anyone has some good suggestions.

Thanks!
    Last edited by riverhawk; January 21st, 2021 at 04:24 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: mouse problems

If you have a spare mouse, I'd suggest adding it to your box and seeing if it's different with the second mouse.

I've been having issues with mice in recent months, having had 3 give problems before they got worse and two stopped working completelyl. My mice are early HP or DELL LED mice, so I've assumed it's they've reached the end of their reliable life (I don't know how old they are; this box is from 2009, but the mouse/keyboard/screens I'm using were used on the box before that too). I've also wondered if my old boxes PSU's are getting old & insufficient power is being provided at times (causing mice to misbehave).

My conclusions are I'm having hardware issues anyway with mine (could also be it's just me).

To validate the mice operation, I boot into a live system, which I do quite often as I assist with QA-testing of Ubuntu & flavors, and at least in my case, the strange behavior doesn't just occur on my installed system, but whatever system I boot and use. My systems are also dual-boot (this box has hirsute I'm using now, but also has bionic) so they act strangely on multiple installed systems.

Beans

Re: mouse problems

Hi guiverc, good point, thank you. I will go buy another mouse and see if it works better.

EDIT: marking this solved, although I don't think I've solved it. Decided would be more helpful to ask more specific questions.
    Last edited by riverhawk; January 21st, 2021 at 04:24 AM.