Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New user. Old Mac. (Is x 10.6.8)

Beans

Unhappy New user. Old Mac. (Is x 10.6.8)

Hello everyone. Linux seems like a lovely use of my
    MacBook Pro 1,2 intel core duo, 2.16ghz, (2 cores, 1 processor) 1gb x2 but I guess I could upgrade that! 667Mhz, 160gn hard drive running OS X 10.6.8 and that seems to be the real issue.
    I can’t get onto any sites to download “because Safari can’t establish a secure connection to the server...” and I guess that’s the main reason I want to ditch the Mac OS.
    I’ve got access to another Mac if that would work to download but I really need advice to know how and if that’s possible. Thanks everyone. Take care, Simon.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: New user. Old Mac. (Is x 10.6.8)

Instructions on how to burn the Ubuntu ISO image to DVD on a Mac

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/burn-a-...cos#1-overview

Instructions on how to burn the Ubuntu ISO to USB stick

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-...cos#1-overview

Installation guide for Ubuntu desktop

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install...top#1-overview

Try before you install guide

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/try-ubu...etting-started

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Moved to Apple Hardware Users.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

How are you doing? Can you download another browser? I use firefox on my mac and it behaves well on any distro download I have tried. With 1GB ram you should be fine, but with minimal specs you might benefit from light running versions like lubuntu or xubuntu. You do get the same options for any software. As long as you can get on another machine and burn the iso you should be fine, USB flash memory is good, and DVD still works fine if you have one. My mac burns DVDs fine, but for USB flash drives I use Etcher. I assume you have a 64 bit machine, but if you mac is older it might be 32 bit, and you may have to aim towards Debian who still supports 32bit. If it`s less than 10 years old it`s as far as I know 64 bit, older hardware than that is not common I guess.
    Last edited by 2blue; February 9th, 2021 at 01:17 AM.

Beans

Hi there.
    I am trying to revive a similar piece of hardware, MacBook Pro, probably 6 years old.
    Currently it runs on Mac OS Catalina and is very slow (I should not have done the Catalina upgrade I guess )

I would like to install a dual boot system.
    I went through the numerous guidelines on the web, got my USB boot stick, set up partitioning, etc.

I can dual boot and Ubuntu runs from the stick with no problem.

However when I want to install Ubuntu it hangs after the third screen: I tried all options: minimal install, normal install and the respective third party sw download options.
    when I kill the install window I get the message, "Installer not responsive".

who knows a solution to the problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

First you say
    set up partitioning
    then
    tried all options: minimal install, normal install and the respective third party sw download options
    ???

Those aren't all the options. If you partitioned in advance you need to choose "something else" and then select all the required partitions including the ESP (EFI System Partition).

Beans

Thanks for your comments.
    I first added two new partitions under Mac OS: Ubuntu (330GB) and SWAP (10GB).
    then I rebooted pressing the option key, I can chose between OSX and two USB drive symbols EFI (not sure why there are two EFI symbols). I chose either EFI and it boots from the USB stick.

Below see the three screens that follow until it hangs.
    I don't see the "Something else" option?

hmmm not sure how I attach pictures??? I uploaded from my google album?

Beans

<Image link snipped>
    Last edited by QIII; February 24th, 2021 at 08:22 PM. Reason: broken link to image removed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Please add pictures as attachments, not as pictures.

Now, you don't need and probably shouldn't create partitions for Ubuntu but instead have unallocated space. No swap partition needed either (you can have it but for years Ubuntu have been using a swapfile instead). Only one partition / (root) - besides the EFI partition that's already there - is currently needed. That partition, if created prior to the installation, must be of a compatible file system (EXT4 is recommended), Ubuntu will NOT install in Mac partitions.

Beans

Thanks, looks like this is going into the right direction, however I still don't know how to do it?

Objective is a dual boot Macbook.

It looks like that I have to go back to the MacOS disk utility tool and change the partitioning.
    What partitioning do I need to set up?

I think you call it "unallocated space" how do I do that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast