Thread: How frequently should I discharge my 45Wh Li-polymer laptop battery?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question How frequently should I discharge my 45Wh Li-polymer laptop battery?

How frequently should I discharge my 45Wh Li-polymer laptop battery? It lasts for almost 6-8 hours on heavy use.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How frequently should I discharge my 45Wh Li-polymer laptop battery?

The answer would greatly depend on the exact laptop.

I don't ever fully discharge **any** of my Li-Ion batteries. After about 4 yrs of use, a new battery is needed almost always, usually for about $40 or less. Fretting about a $40 part isn't something I do.

Code:
    $ acpi -i
    Battery 0: Not charging, 98%
    Battery 0: design capacity 3652 mAh, last full capacity 3273 mAh = 89%
    This is a laptop from 2018, perhaps 2017? I bought it used about 3 yrs ago.
    Last edited by TheFu; January 20th, 2021 at 12:54 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    The answer would greatly depend on the exact laptop.

I don't ever fully discharge **any** of my Li-Ion batteries. After about 4 yrs of use, a new battery is needed almost always, usually for about $40 or less. Fretting about a $40 part isn't something I do.
    +1
    Sorry i had to give props, but this one I've run for 2 days with no charge, I'm impressed.
    Code:
    Battery:
      ID-1: BAT0 charge: 50.3 Wh condition: 52.0/51.0 Wh (102%) volts: 17.2/15.4 
      model: LGC 5B10W13930 type: Li-poly serial: 2159 status: Unknown cycles: 6
    It's charging now.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Mine is Li-Polymer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Was this battery included with the device from the OEM?

Have you read the OEM's user manual? That would be the best thing. Batteries and charging protocols are usually built into the machine's firmware these days, leaving users free from having to worry about such things. The batteries are often "broken in" by OEMs prior to being installed. If not, there should be some instructions in the manual.

I believe that LiPo batteries have a "low-voltage" cut off and never fully discharge anyway. There are internal controls that stop the battery from discharging further -- that is to stop them providing any current -- beyond a certain point.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm using lithium batteries of various descriptions working all over my property. They are electronic batteries that upon being overloaded or reach a discharge point will switch off completely. Use it up and buy a new one. That being said most of my devices wear out before the lithium battery fails. I have useless batteries and chargers all over the place.

As a side note the International Space Station is currently replacing all of it's batteries with lithium ion batteries. The lithium technology is advancing so fast that it would be unusual to replace a laptop battery with the same technology battery that was removed.
    Last edited by zebra2; January 25th, 2021 at 01:40 AM.