Thread: Re: Program to replace my... paper filing system thing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Program to replace my... paper filing system thing?

EDIT: can someone link a tutorial video explaining all the different tools in Ubuntu, such as Libre Office, Libreoffice Writer, Calc, etc., etc. Is there a tutorial showing all of them?

I have a piece of paper, I'm literally using a ruler to draw lines to separate "username", "passwords", "emails", "other". I think it looks like an excell type of thing, but I don't know how to use excel.

Is there a linux program where I can store info that I need when I need to log in to the 100's of different websites that I go to? I'm dealing with law firms right now, and getting spammed with so many "how can we assist your legal needs", and I can't keep pencil/papering writing all these username/passwords/emails down. Is libre office the program? I'll try it and see.

Or am I looking to use Calc? [SOLVED] Calc seems to be the program for keeping track of log-in information like passwords and emails and stuff.
    Last edited by howefield; March 19th, 2021 at 05:18 PM. Reason: posts merged.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Although you might have one solution if you are researching "100's of sites" then the tool for this is Zotero.
    Two items are needed.
    First a standalone app which is installed in your desktop. Mine is installed in /opt/zotero.
    Second you need a zotero extension (connector) in your browser. In Chromium open extensions and search for zotero.
    You can attach notes to each site link. Beware attaching passwords if you intend to publish your collection to share with others. A separate desktop password keeper KeePassX serves that purpose.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you want a password manager you can use keepassXC or similar managers.
    Many use the same underlying encrypted file which has your login, passwork & Internet address. You can add notes also.
    I copy encrypted file to my iPhone to use it there also. But program is different in iPhone, but same database.

https://keepassxc.org/docs/KeePassXC...ngStarted.html
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

+10 for KeepassX.