Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommended laptop for ubuntu

Beans

Re: Recommended laptop for ubuntu

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies and the helpful information. I'm very pleased that I didn't jump straight in!

As I'm in the UK I'm going to take a closer look at the Starlabs products. The attention to detail that has gone into it is impressive, particularly at their price point.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Let us know how you get on. We're in UK too and Starlabs are easy to communicate with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by johnnywildman View Post
    Hi everyone, thanks for the replies and the helpful information. I'm very pleased that I didn't jump straight in!

As I'm in the UK I'm going to take a closer look at the Starlabs products. The attention to detail that has gone into it is impressive, particularly at their price point.

Thanks again.
    Have you seen this supplier https://www.entroware.com/store/laptops
    Or this one https://www.junocomputers.com/product-category/laptops/
    Last edited by tea for one; January 21st, 2021 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Added second link

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Thanks. I did take a look at the entroware website as I understood that they are in Liverpool. I haven't compared the products directly yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'd recommend searching through these threads. They're stickied to the top of the Hardware forums:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1543009

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1543006

If you've already decided that you'll buy a new laptop for this specifically, buying one that's preinstalled is probably the best choice (as several other have said), since you won't have to pay the OS license to either MS or Apple, and everything should be guaranteed to be perfectly compatible. The downside is, if you end up disliking it, you won't be able to put Windows on it that easily.

One big reason I haven't ditched Windows altogether is compatibility. There's always a program or a website that is only compatible with Windows. Some websites only work well on a specific browser in a specific OS. Lastly, my experience with the LibreOffice version of PowerPoint has been terrible. Consider from the beginning that you may want to keep your Windows computer alive for those occasions. In my case, I have a dual-boot where I can select which OS to use when I turn the computer on. Other people use a virtual computer inside their Ubuntu, or backwards. You may be able to just have two computers.

Hope it helps!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I would like to recommend a ThinkPad. There's new ones that's being sold with Linux based operating system and there's a ton of used ones out there for cheap. They're in general very hackable and repairable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My laptop now is HP EliteBook with fingerprint on it and it works well on Ubuntu 18 but I have heard/read some content that Dell XPS 13 will be best. Now, its up to you where will you choose which is best fit to your budget.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans

I’ve used Ubuntu on a 2012 Mac Book Pro, non-retina. Installing was straightforward and Ubuntu is a great production environment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12