Thread: Sleep issues

Beans

Sleep issues

I've just done a fresh install of 16.04 onto an hp 15 notebook (64bit) and set it to open automatically Firefox web browser, which then opens my email account.
    So boot up, and I'm then good to go each morning.
    Well that's what I'd like.
    I've then set the 'power settings' to not go to sleep, if on battery or not, ditto shutting lid.
    But it goes to sleep after 5 minutes, and on waking, asks me for a password. I tried changing that to 2 hours, but it still goes down after 5 minutes.
    I used terminal to check the sleep status(if that's the term) $ systemctl status sleep.target - it indicates that it is inactive, so I have a puzzle.
    One thing I note - when changing the System settings/power, there is no 'save' button. Is that correct ?
    All help welcomed,
    John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Sleep issues

Welcome.

Support for 16.04 is almost over, it ends in April. Absolutely no point in installing it now.

Beans

Thank you for your welcome, but I prefer to go with my own choice, and suffer the consequences.
    john

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's not only the user of unsupported OSes who, potentially, suffer the consequences. OSes without security updates, like Ubuntu 16.04 after next April, are a threat to everyone else because they can and will be used for nefarious purposes.

I won't certainly helping here and I doubt anyone else will. Why don't you, instead of the attitude, do the smart thing that is to install a release that has a support going forward, like the current 20.04 LTS (supported until 2025)? If it's Unity you're after then please be aware you can still install it in the current Ubuntu and also there's an unofficial Ubuntu derivative with Unity from the get go: https://ubuntuunity.org/

Then, if the problem persists, we troubleshoot from there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Please be aware that after 16.04 goes EOL, we will likely close any posts requesting help -- with a note that we would rather the community not be asked to continue to help with an EOL version.

While it may be your choice to take a shortcut through a cage full of ravenous tigers, we do not care to be responsible for the results of your doing so.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

You both raise valid concerns for the continual use of 16.04. I wonder why such concerns have not been raised over other EOL versions, that I am aware of, since my first coming to these forums in 2008.
    Perhaps we have more bad actors amongst us nowadays, equipped with better tools for their nefarious trade. Perhaps we are just getting more paranoid.
    My reason for reverting to 16.04 was that later versions do not support the flash version that I need to run the audio content from two programs that I habitually listen to.
    However, my original request for help still stands, so if you are not able or willing to do so, thank you for your contribution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I wonder why such concerns have not been raised over other EOL versions
    Examples, please.
    At least a third of my posts are exactly about that. And I've noticed the exact opposite, i.e., mods and other experts here are actually quick in pointing that out.

My reason for reverting to 16.04 was that later versions do not support the flash version that I need to run the audio content from two programs that I habitually listen to.
    This? https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2456061
    Are you using two accounts for the forum or is this just a coincidence?
    Anyway, it works on mine, Ubuntu 20.04 without Adobe Flash, Firefox 84. I wouldn't expect a company like BBC to be depending on an obsolete technology that just recently became unsupported (by Adobe) or is just a matter of days. The point being, BBC's radio player app does NOT depend on Adobe Flash let alone a specific version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Yes, CelticWarrior, I did have more than one identity, due my self-confessed ineptitude.

Fortunately, Admin have solved that problem for me.
    As my original request for help has now been overtaken by a separate issue, I'm abandoning the idea, and trying elsewhere.
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.