Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: sending large picture files

You therefore do not already have it installed and need to run command
    Code:
    sudo apt install imagemagick
    which will do the trick.

Imagemagick is the "Swiss knife" of image editing and can do juat about anything; convert is just one of the many executables it provides as you will see if you run
    Code:
    man imagemagick
    , but is entirely command line so don't expect to see a GUI.

EDIT:
    Too many simultaneous posts, including this one!

If you need a GUI application and want something smaller than gimp have a look at nomacs; it's much quicker and simpler than gimp but will manage several image edits quite easily using the Adjustments menu
    Last edited by ajgreeny; January 16th, 2021 at 08:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by wmrp View Post
    What is a pretty reasonable size if I want to email a few pictures? It scales height and width separately for some reason.
    If you accept the defaults in GIMP, it will scale the picture proportionally along both axes. Type a number like 400 in the width box from the Image > Scale Image dialog and the height will adjust accordingly. You can change each axis independently if you click on the little chain icon to unlock height and width, but then the image will be distorted.

If the image seems too small after downscaling, hit the "1" key to zoom to 100%.

How big is too big depends on your recipient. If they have poor internet connectivity, then you want to make the images smaller. I maintain a photo gallery site for my college classmates and have standardized on a 400 pixel width in portrait view for all the pictures. The largest files are about 250K which isn't that big by modern-day standards. They all look fine. If you expect your recipient to be printing these images, then you want to go bigger to enable better resolution on the printer. You might use widths of 1600px or more in those cases if your original images are larger than that. Never scale up an image if you can help it. Upscaling creates "information" by inventing extra pixels that are shaded depending on those surrounding it.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; January 16th, 2021 at 08:31 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

If you are keen to try the command line as others have suggested there is a very simple way to use imagemagick and resize your image based on the percentage point of your choice. For example to reduce the size of your image by 50%:

Code:
    convert big_image.jpg -resize 50% smaller_image.jpg
    There are many ways to accomplish this goal with imagemagick but this is perhaps the easiest.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro

I use nomacs (https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/nomacs). It has a super-easy way to reduce image sizes. I open the image in nomacs, then click File > Save for Web. There's another step that shows part of the original and new images; I click OK and then attach the resulting image to the email message.

Beans

You can use imagemagick to reduce quality and make the files smaller that way. You can also shrink the size and make them smaller that way too

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    You can use imagemagick to reduce quality and make the files smaller that way. You can also shrink the size and make them smaller that way too
    Yeah, "HemanAB" mentioned imagemagick in the first reply.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

$ more bin/img-opt.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    QUAL=40

for img in "$@"; do
      NEW=${img/%.???/-opt.jpg}
      echo " Working on $img ..."
       convert -quality $QUAL  "$img"  "$NEW"
    done
    That's an example script to use convert. JPG files can be drastically reduced in size with almost zero notice to humans in the quality for a specific size. 10x reductions are easy.

That script can create new jpg files provided as input to be 10x or more smaller.

Run it:
    Code:
    $ img-opt.sh *jpg
    or gif or png or ... but the output will always be jpg files. 1,5, 200 fles - no problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wmrp View Post
    What is the easiest way to make picture files smaller for emailing photos? I am running Ubuntu 20.04.
    My first post: I have found that imagemagick is the best for this task. But you don't have to use it from the command line. You can use it in your default GUI file manager 'Nautilus'. From the terminal do:

sudo apt install imagemagick
    sudo apt install nautilus-image-converter
    nautilus -q # Reloads nautilus configuration

Once you have done this you should be able to point to any picture file and right click for the option to resize the file or files (it will do bulk resizes).

This thanks to: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1053...n-ubuntu-18-04

Cheers,
    Mike

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

kel008, good method for many.

Also, there is a very old-school GUI for most ImageMagick tools - it looks like X-Apps from 1993. Sorta like the image next to my posts (xman). Basically, it is a launcher for all the ImageMagick tools with input fields for each as make sense. I always find it odd how people are willing to mouse and fill out a simple set of fields for a program rather than provide command options with exactly the same meaning in a shell.

Plus, in a shell we can put commands and options used into a file to be 5, 500, 500000, 5Q times. Much quicker, especially when using tab-command-completion. People moving from Windows often don't know about tab-completion which prevents users from typing more than 2-3 characters for options or filenames.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12