Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I create a /boot partiton while installing Ubuntu if I already have Windows10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question Should I create a /boot partiton while installing Ubuntu if I already have Windows10?

Should I create one partition for /boot if I have Windows 10 pre-installed. If I should create one how much size should I allocate to it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Should I create a /boot partiton while installing Ubuntu if I already have Window

Simple answer is probably no, but as in your other thread about the two disk system, it's difficult to be certain what you have already, what you want to have at the end of this, and therefore, how best to get there.

Please give us as much i formation as you possibly can otherwise we are just guessing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Should I create a /boot partiton while installing Ubuntu if I already have Window

Actually I have 1TB HDD and 256GB SSD. I use ubuntu mainly. Now I will be using SSD portion for apps and coding purposes(temporarily while doing it). But for storing data for long time I will use HDD .
    (regarding the earlier post)
    And want to make sure that the partition for ubuntu in HDD also gets automatically mounted. But I don't know how to do it.
    Last edited by EngineerStrange; January 16th, 2021 at 11:45 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Gets automatically mounted when?

There is no point trying to mount or read the Ubuntu partition while running Windows as Linux partitions are invisible in Windows, but if you choose to boot Ubuntu from grub, which should show at boot in a dual boot system, the Ubuntu partition will automount at boot as you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

No no I want it to get mounted while running Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

What makes you think that you need a partition for /boot?
    I would say the less convoluted the system, the better, for the system itself at least, especially for boot process.
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you install Ubuntu on the same disk as Windows and in the same BIOS/UEFI mode as Windows, Ubuntu will take over the existing boot partition to run GRUB from. If Windows is installed in BIOS mode and you install Ubuntu the same, you do not need a boot partition.

If, for some reason, the other disk is not mounted on boot, open the partition in Disks click on the gears icon and Edit Mount Options.

Beans

You don't need a separate /boot partition. If you are using windows 10 default it will be EFI on a GPT drive and Ubuntu will be installed EFI also. The EFI files for both windows and Ubuntu will be in separate directories on the EFI partition.

If you have a second drive permanently attached it should be available under the directory /media/username (use actual username here) OR you could put an entry in the /etc/fstab file to mount it where you want. If the drive is not permanently attached, don't put an entry in /etc/fstab.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am unable understand what you said about directory/media/username?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's not "directory/media/username"... It's about the directory /media/username where "username" is your actual username in the given system. This same directory is where all removable media is typically and automatically mounted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast