Thread: I now cannot get back to the forum as my original identity.

Beans

I now cannot get back to the forum as my original identity.

Some two weeks ago, after creating a problem for myself, I posted a thread as grey1beard entitled 'Merging identities'.
    This was replied to by wildmanne39, who performed what was necessary, or so I thought.
    However, I then found that when I tried to login the following day, I could no longer do so.
    When I tried to contact admin, the only route was via the resolution centre, which told me as a non-member I would have wait an undetermined time for a reply.
    Two weeks efforts have led me to create a completely new email address, and identity, in order to contact you.
    You may understand that, having been a member since April 2008, I'm more than a little(enter your own expletive here) off.
    I should like to have your considered advice as to how I am to return to the quiet life I had before.
    John Brooker aka grey1beard aka fanmaker

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: I now cannot get back to the forum as my original identity.

I note that you actually make 5 posts up to a week after the user name had been changed (not merged, as we do not do that).

That clearly worked. Now that you have apparently modified your SSO login, you have further problems.

Which username would you like?

If you will tell me that, I will associate your SSO login with that username.

As a reminder: We do not administer SSO.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Thank yo for your rapid reply.
    At 81yo, I think I might well have overlooked the other postings I might have made, especially as I have not been able to get into the forum recently.
    Before I make that decision, could you please tell me if, in returning to my original user name of grey1beard, I shall also regain my original profile settings, including the avatar picture I used ?
    Likewise, will I be able to edit my email address back to my original one that was associated with my original user name ?
    I'm afraid I have no idea what the reference to SSO means, so you not administering it doesn't add anything to my understanding of how the problem started, nor how to avoid it in the future.
    Thank you for your time and help,
    John

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fanmaker View Post
    Before I make that decision, could you please tell me if, in returning to my original user name of grey1beard, I shall also regain my original profile settings, including the avatar picture I used ?
    If you tell me which of the usernames you want to have and I associate your SSO login (I will explain "SSO" in a moment) with that Ubuntu Forums user, when you sign in via SSO you will be associated with that Ubuntu Forums user and all profile settings.

Likewise, will I be able to edit my email address back to my original one that was associated with my original user name ?
    You may if you choose. However, the SSO email and Ubuntu Forums email are not linked in any way. The Ubuntu Forums email is no longer used in the login process and has not been for many years. The UF email is like your appendix: it's not important and really doesn't have to be there.

I'm afraid I have no idea what the reference to SSO means, so you not administering it doesn't add anything to my understanding of how the problem started, nor how to avoid it in the future.
    SSO is "Single Sign On". Canonical, Ltd, the company that distributes the Ubuntu operating system and provides us with the server and software for us to run these forums, requires that method of signing in to any of their online resources. The Ubuntu Forums are just one of many of those resources. SSO is the gate to the playground, but we don't control it. Your username on the Forums, however, is associated with an SSO account. Once associated, changes to the SSO account won't affect your Ubuntu Forums account. Creating a new SSO account, however, will not associate you with a current Ubuntu Forums username. That new SSO account will generate a new Ubuntu Forums user account. That may be what has happened here.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Thank you QIII for your full reply.
    I should like to keep my original user name, grey1beard, and have that associated with my current SSO log in details.
    If I am correct, then all should be well, and I will continue to be able to receive the help so generously given by this community

Beans

On this laptop, my fanmaker ID is stored, and I am able to return to the community, and this thread in particular, which is a godsend.
    However, when I tried to log on this morning, using my old laptop, the saved ID on that one overrides these settings, and is still messed up.
    I am now hoping to let sleeping dogs lie, and will sort out my avatar etc., later.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I've been doing a bit of digging. It took some time.

When you posted this thread - https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2455999 somehow your grey1beard account got disabled as well as the john-fanmaker one. I've re-enabled the grey1beard account. Please note that you have no less than three apparently active Ubuntu One SSO accounts linked, respectively, to the grey1beard account, the john-fanmaker account, and this fanmaker account.

What you need to do is to work out which of your SSO accounts is linked to the three forum accounts. You will not be able to log into john-fanmaker since it is disabled - if you try you will simply be returned to the Ubuntu One page. I suspect that your two laptops are logged into two different Ubuntu One accounts.

What I have also done is to adjust configurations on the john-fanmaker account so that the email registered to it is available for your re-use if you decide to register that to a usable forum account, but that is a side issue. I can't help you with your various Ubuntu One login credentials - you will have those in your records. Once you have successfully logged into the grey1beard account, and you know which SSO login credentials you need, let us know and then we'll disable this fanmaker account.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

For the record:

Cross-reference: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2455999

fanmaker account disabled.

Thread closed.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.