Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System crashed for no reason, manual fcsk required

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

System crashed for no reason, manual fcsk required

did not add any command or touch the system, was not functioning so I just rebooted the computer and could not get in, got strange message (cannot take screenshot, I had to get a pic). I tried with recovery mode and I have the same message (see attachment). I can of course reinstall everything but can't this be fixed manually (like using a startup usb?) it's the second time since October and the computer is from March 2020...so I suspect some hardware issue also...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by abelito8; January 18th, 2021 at 03:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: System crashed for no reason, manual fcsk required

I would suggest booting a live system (such as Ubuntu install media, and use "Try Ubuntu"), and performing the `fsck` (file-system check) it says in the error message.

It's easier from a live system, as the disk won't be used, and thus you don't need to worry about unmounting partitions etc. These errors can occur for a number of reasons (surge or fluctuation in power without a filter being used, etc) so I don't worry about the rare/very-occasional occurrence (your fridge may have turned on the same microsecond someone started a kettle causing a minute/temporary drop in power), but should it start occurring regularly, check out your hardware (clue something maybe starting to fail etc).

You don't need to use the same release, I'd opt for a modern release (over something very old), but it can be a different flavor too. If the `fsck` detects & fixes errors, I'd expect a normal boot on next try.

Beans

Linux is extremely reliable software, but the computer hardware can malfunction due to various reasons, from power fluctuations to cosmic rays. A laptop computer has a built-in battery but a desktop machine doesn’t. So if you ever see your lights dim momentarily, then you should probably invest in a small UPS for your desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

There is an easy way to get the system to run fsck on your system disk. Enter the following command…
    Code:
    sudo touch /forcefsck
    … and then reboot. The system will run fsck as part of the boot process. No need for a live disk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thank you, I tried and it's asking who is sudo...does not recognise the command, I used it without sudo and did not perform the action...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thank you, I was on a laptop but I had to turn it off brutally because it had frozen...perhaps this, but definitely not the desktop issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thank you, I tried and even when opening the live cd (USB) it warns me that the error already occurred...but then goes into the live usb and I can open a terminal, I type df to see what particions are available and I see sdb1 / cdrom but no sdba....I then type in fsck sdba1 and the system replies fsck from util-linux 2.34...

does it mean my HD is screwed?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

The partition with the problem as shown in the image in your initial post is the / (root) filesystem partition, sda2. The command df -h only displays mounted partitions so that's not a problem. It isn't mounted and should not be mounted when you run fsck.

.I then type in fsck sdba1
    Hoping that's a typo here as it is: sda2. What you should run is: sudo fsck /dev/sda2 If that results in problems, you must post the exact command you used and the exact output for someone to further help.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    … sudo fsck /dev/sda2
    I would amend that slightly for safety:
    Code:
    sudo fsck -CMf /dev/sda2
    -C: Show progress (optional, but nice to have).
    -M: Don't run the check when the partition is mounted (prevents certain types of errors).
    -f: Do a full check even if the system doesn't immediately find a problem.

If you can't log in normally, boot into Recovery Mode and add /forcefsck to the required partition before rebooting. If you can't even do that, a Live disk is your only alternative.
    Last edited by Paddy Landau; January 17th, 2021 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Fixed an error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

wow, it seems that it worked! so complicated...so simple
    thanks a lot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast