Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Activation of network connection failed Ubuntu 20.04

Angry Activation of network connection failed Ubuntu 20.04

I am sorry if something like this has been posted already. I have severe anxiety and I have to do something constructive, and searching through thousands of posts will only make my already severe anxiety much worse.

Anyway, I have a Dell Inspiron N1150, and I just installed Ubuntu 20.04 on it. Even during installation I was not able to connect to the Internet and I thought it was just the wireless card being dumb, since it already didn't work very well when I had Windows on it. Unfortunately, once installation finished, no matter what I did, and no matter which network I chose, I kept getting the following error: "Activation of network connection failed"

I have used Ubuntu before, but I still consider myself a total newbie, and all of the steps I've tried already have failed. I truly don't know what to do.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Activation of network connection failed Ubuntu 20.04

Moved to Networking & Wireless as a better fit.
    See Wireless-Info in my signature below and follow the instructions there to run the script and post the output back here using pastebin if necessary.

I managed to get the script on the computer, but I am having trouble running it. I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

We can't know what you are doing wrong unless you tell us what you are doing.

Would you please paste the exact command(s) you are entering in the terminal and the results?
    Last edited by QIII; January 16th, 2021 at 01:51 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

So the link I clicked on didn't have any actual instructions, so I had to go to several different tutorials online to cobble together a script file using Notepad in Windows and saving it with the extension .sh. So I put it on a thumb drive and then connected the thumb drive to the computer with Ubuntu, and tried several times to run the scripts.

You can see the miserable output here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/068xnoe13w...%20PM.jpg?dl=0

Basically, I created a bin folder in my Home directory, made it executable, plopped the script file I created in there and then ran the following command: ./wireless-info.sh

And nothing ever worked.

EDIT: I connected the laptop to my router via Ethernet and that worked perfectly fine. I suspect it's the Wifi card or something. I have an old Wireless G USB device but it didn't work either - I suspect that there is no driver for that. I might try tethering the laptop to my phone via USB, if possible.
    Last edited by asdfsdfgsdfgaefweafersgs; January 16th, 2021 at 03:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you have an alternative internet connection then you can perfectly go the aforementioned link with the script and instructions to run it. It's really that simple.

Unfortunately I’m not that smart. In fact, I am not smart at all. I need detailed, step by step instructions on how to run that script, because when I clicked that link, all I got was the script code - I went through it line by line and saw no 8nstructuons of any kind.

im sorry I’m an idiot. I am sorry that I am not smart. I need a lot of hand walking with everything.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I must point out to all helping in this thread that there are absolutely no instructions in the link ajgreeny provided. It is just the raw bash script, which a newcomer wouldn't know what to do with.

@ajgreeny, do you have a link to instructions for that script? I don't want to point the OP to the N&W sticky, as they still need a howto to get the raw script into an executable text file.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Okay, I have found the instructions and managed to copy and paste the output into a pastebin, since it is too big to attach.

https://pastebin.com/gaHUs9TV

The URL that led me to the instructions is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Yes, sorry!
    I replied using a small Android screen and didn't take enough care to look at the link itself.
    I think I expected it to go to the sticky which does have instructions.

My apologies to the OP.
    I will now edit my signature item to make it more useful!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast