Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gedit: How can I change the maximum number of recent files listed?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Question gedit: How can I change the maximum number of recent files listed?

A long time ago, gedit had an option to change the number of recent files listed.

Later, that option was removed (why?), but we could at least change it through Dconf Editor or the command line:
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.gedit.preferences.ui max-recents 30
    Having just moved up to Ubuntu 20.04, I note that the new gedit (version 3.36.2) doesn't even have max-recents. I tried to add max-recents to the folder, but I couldn't find out how to do so! (There must be a way, but my googling skills are obviously lacking.)

How can I increase the number of recent files in gedit?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: gedit: How can I change the maximum number of recent files listed?

Search found this ..
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...in-gedit-gnome

read the very last comment. Re: gedit - Version 3.36.2

Perhaps time to choose a different light editor?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly41 View Post
    Search found this ..
    Oh dear, thanks. I think that I'll raise a bug for this with gedit, if I can find out how to.
    Perhaps time to choose a different light editor?
    Well, if there's an editor that does what gedit does, because gedit has some truly helpful features. Do you have a recommendation? It doesn't need to be a light editor.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Oh dear, I should not have stuck my head above the parapet.

My personal choice these days is CherryTree. An interesting feature is the option to embed codeboxes in nodes.
    Note that CherryTree is in transition and there is a stable version which runs on 18.04 and a newer version gtk3 which runs on 20.04.
    I am in transition between 18.04 and 20.04 right now.

But to match the very rich choice of plugins offered by gedit I also use Atom. Not exactly a light weight.

Much depends on what you require it do do. I tend to use toolchains and Geany also is used.

[P.S.} Found the Gedit bug reporter here ..

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gedit
    Last edited by dragonfly41; September 8th, 2020 at 01:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Oh dear, I should not have stuck my head above the parapet.
    Uh, yes, you should have! You don't know how many people with a similar problem will find your ideas helpful. Thanks for your contributions.

I'll have a look at CherryTree and Atom, and at the bug area, thank you.

Beans
    Distro

Update:

I've raised a bug requesting that the option be reinstated.

If this affects you, please mark the bug accordingly (log in, and select the green writing near the top).

Beans

As I posted in your Launchpad bug, the request to reinstate the max-recents option has already been dismissed (by the developer that removed the option). https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gedit/-/issues/315

But, if you like the older style of gedit, you can try pluma. It offers the max-recents setting with dconf-editor (/org/mate/pluma).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    As I posted in your Launchpad bug, the request to reinstate the max-recents option has already been dismissed (by the developer that removed the option). https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gedit/-/issues/315

But, if you like the older style of gedit, you can try pluma. It offers the max-recents setting with dconf-editor (/org/mate/pluma).
    Thanks. I saw that report just today. I've resubmitted a request, because that report was specifically about max-recents in dconf. This is really about the functionality.

I vaguely know Pluma, so I'll have a look at it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You can either wait for some movement from the Gedit developers .. or follow a proactive plan.

This scenario explains how to include Gedit in a toolchain with Krusader to achieve what you require. I have done this with other editors: Atom, VSCode and other applications. Basically I use Krusader as my “control hub” integrating with multiple tools.

We install Krusader through command or Synaptic.

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install krusader

There are many tutorials and documents around explaining how to apply Krusader.

Each of the twin panels can have multiple tabs.

Right click on tab name at bottom of panel and here we can manage tabs for each panel.

A workflow convention might be to regard left panel as “source” and right panel as “destination”. We can then use the tabs at bottom of Krusader to perform actions F2 to F10. Note: These actions apply to the selected (highlighted) panel and it is easy to make a mistake and highlight the wrong panel.

Now to integrate Krusader and Gedit we navigate to Toolbar > Settings > Configure Krusader.

There are many settings which can be customised but we open General > Viewer/Editor and in
    the Editor field set: gedit

This allows any file selected through Krusader front end to open in Gedit. It might be necessary to restart Krusader for some config settings to have effect.

Now Gedit has a limit of 10 recent files. But Krusader has a larger limit. Krusader keeps a list of “Popular URLs”

see Krusader > Toolbar > Go > Popular URLs

and this is a list of folders containing recently opened files.

When a Popular URL is selected this launches in the Active Panel in Krusader and in turn files can be selected and opened in Gedit where they will appear in Gedit recently opened files (pushing down the stack).

This is a basic example of using Krusader and Gedit in a toolchain. There are other integration tricks to follow such as writing custom Useractions in Krusader to take the Krusader filepath and pass to other external tools or scripts through command line.

One tip is that the list of PopularURLs is held here:

$HOME/.kde/share/config/krusaderrc

and I have experimented by writing a custom list into that file then restarting Krusader for the changes to take effect. In principle this might be used in a custom Useraction to choose profiles of Popular URLs, so the integration options are limitless.

But we will pause here.

To conclude we use Krusader as the front end and Gedit as the backend editor.
    The downside is that Krusader does install with a lot of KDE baggage.

[P.S. added note]
    Any file selected can either be launched [F4] in external Gedit or viewed [F3] by internal editor.

https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/extra.../krviewer.html
    Last edited by dragonfly41; September 10th, 2020 at 05:00 PM. Reason: emphasise need to select correct twin panel

Beans
    Distro

This scenario explains how to include Gedit in a toolchain with Krusader to achieve what you require
    This seems clever! I'll have to experiment with this to see how well it works for me.

Thank you for the idea!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast