Thread: Problem after update to kernel 5.4.0.62 in 20.04

Beans

Problem after update to kernel 5.4.0.62 in 20.04

I usually use Software Updater to get the latest updates. Recently there was a kernel update (to 5.4.0.62) which caused a strange problem after reboot and login. I get the following message as soon as I login:
    Code:
    Unable to lock 
    Lock was blocked by an application.
    The laptop then immediately goes into sleep mode. The message and sleep mode happens every time I login.

As I do system backups regularly, I have managed to go back to the version just before the kernel update so I am ok at the moment. However, I'd like to get this debugged so that I can move forward with the updates. Does anyone know what I should do?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Problem after update to kernel 5.4.0.62 in 20.04

At the login screen use Ctrl+Alt+F4 to get to a command line and see if you can login there.
    I am running the 5.4.0-62 kernel without a problem so this may relate to your hardware; please let us know what hardware you have in as much detail as you can.
    From command line you could run command inxi -Fzx and tell us what it says as much as possible, though I realise that you will not be able to easily copy that output and post it back here.

Beans

Re: Problem after update to kernel 5.4.0.62 in 20.04

It looks like this problem has solved itself or perhaps it has gone into hiding. Starting from the backup version previous to the latest kernel, I decided to update one package at a time to find out which package was causing the lock problem. With some trial-and-error and several attempts in changing the order of installing packages, I managed to get 5.4.0-62 installed.

The appearance of this hardware problem remains a mystery, but I will change the status to Solved. Apologies for the bother.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question Re: Problem after update to kernel 5.4.0.62 in 20.04

What class of CPU does your laptop run? I'd run into a hardware problem on the currently-down Hot Rod gPC under 16.04.3-LTS Trusty, viz., random program crashes, and eventually traced it to the CPU - the original-build Advance Micro Devices® Athlon 64® X2 5600+ blew out its memory manager; the "downgrade" AMD Athlon 64® 3500+ ran stably through 20.04.1-LTS Focal until the GIGABYTE® GA-MA78GM-S2HP would no longer recognize an i8042 keyboard after 15 January 2021.
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.