Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu manual partitioning

Beans

Lubuntu manual partitioning

I am trying to install lubuntu 20.04.1 with a usb to my new acer aspire model N19C1 laptop using this manual - https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/1/1...tallation.html . It came with windows installed, but I want to completely erase windows and only use lubuntu on this computer. At the partitioning step, the only option that shows is the manual partitioning option. It is also showing that my system was started with an EFI boot environment and my device has an MBR partition table. After choosing manual partitioning I selected "new partition table" and chose GUID partition table (I don't know if I should've chose GUID or master boot record). Then I selected the partition and selected create, and now I'm shown a window with a file system option, a mount point option, and flags, but I don't know what I should select for any of these so that I can properly install lubuntu. 20210114_211846.jpg20210114_212502.jpg
    Last edited by icewizard8029; January 14th, 2021 at 10:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Lubuntu manual partitioning

Please do not create duplicate threads.
    You did change this one to Solved, but this is same issue?
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2456574
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I think this is a different issue. In the last thread I was originally trying to install lubuntu 18.04 because I couldn't install 20.04, but a user helped me and now I'm able to install 20.04, but I'm confused on how to get through this partitioning step. In the last thread I didn't see any partition, but now I do. Should I just continue asking in the last thread instead of this one?

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Your screenshots look strange. From where did you get your Lubuntu 20.04.1 .ISO image? Hopefully from lubuntu.me.

A normal install should run something like:

Booting from USB/DVD (black screen for some time), then:
    Select language, you'll land on a "DOS-like" window where you can select "Start Lubuntu". It's a good idea to press F3 and select the keyboard layout first.

This will start the live boot, and after some minutes you'll land on the Lubuntu desktop.

Did you get this far?
    Last edited by GhX6GZMB; January 14th, 2021 at 11:07 PM.

Beans

I downloaded the ISO file today from lubuntu.me/downloads and the sha256sum matches their given sha256sum (0727253098c998c0b7b7963326690419710cdce2479472ca7 cfe7adda7a31174).

The boot/install process so far has looked pretty much how you're describing it. After The lubuntu desktop opened I selected the "Install Lubuntu 20.02 LTS" file but now I'm stuck on this partitioning step.20210114_222227.jpg20210114_222515.jpg

Beans

OK, looks good, you've landed in the right place and your install is running.

But I see an issue, which I don't really know how to solve. Your USB-stick is /dev/sda which it should NOT be.
    /dev/sda is your future main harddisk, which is now blocked by your stick.

How was the stick formatted before the .ISO was installed? It should be FAT32.
    Using Rufus and choosing only the default settings usually works.

EDIT!!! Scratch this. I tried my own installer, you're fine.
    Last edited by GhX6GZMB; January 15th, 2021 at 12:07 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It is best to choose GUID partition table (GPT) even if our motherboard is BIOS and not UEFI. With MBR partitioning there is a limit to the number of partitions that we can have and a workaround that we have to do to have more than that limit. With GPT the limit has been expanded to be effectively limitless. For the ordinary user that is.

I cannot understand why you did not get the option to Erase Disc and Install Lubuntu. With the manual install option we have to select partitions, give them a mount point and a file system. We have to choose where the Grub boot loader is installed. You have yet to create partitions.

If you want to use the Manual option then I suggest that you use GParted to create a GPT partitioning system for that drive and then create the partitions you want/need. You need a boot partition; a root partition; and it makes sense to have a /home partition and even a partition for Data. You may need a Swap partition.

With the partitions already created you then need to tell the installer which partition is what by giving it a mount point from the drop down menu. And also a file system.

Regards

P.S. I am thinking that the USB flash drive (/dev/sda) is the USB memory stick that you are loading the Lubuntu live session from. Click the down arrow to the right of the panel and see if it shows your hard drive.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; January 14th, 2021 at 11:57 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I used Unetbootin to add the ISO to this usb. I'll remove the files and try Rufus to see if that changes anything. Before I installed the 20.04 iso onto this usb another os iso was installed on this usb and I removed those files before adding the 20.04 iso file to it. The partitions page on the lubuntu 20.04 installation window says the usb has a FAT32 file system

Beans

No, stop.
    You're absolutely fine. Now you just need to define your partitions manually.

I suggest 30 GB for /dev/sda1 with mount point / formatted.
    The rest of the drive you can partition as you like: /dev/sda2, /dev/sda3 etc., but they all need to formatted and given a mount point. /home is mandatory, of course

Sorry, sorry that I created confusion in my earlier post.
    Last edited by GhX6GZMB; January 15th, 2021 at 12:08 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have not installed Lubuntu, but it looks like you only are showing the USB drive.
    Do you see a larger drive than the 16GB(14.9) drive?

On my system flash drives are often promoted to sda and old sda becomes sdb etc.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast