Thread: sharing samba users

sharing samba users

How can I assign multiple users to a samba share? So let's say i have a share /var/www/stuff that I need to have ownership to www-data user but also to allow certain samba users to have write access as well. So let's say I have samba users, Bill, Ben, Jill, Lily, to /var/www/stuff I need to have www-data to have ownership of it but also to have Bill and Jill to be able to access it as well. Can this be done? If so, how?

Beans

Re: sharing samba users

https://www.oreilly.com/openbook/sam...k/ch06_01.html

One trick I've used in the past is to run Samba with the "force user" and "force group" options. This tells Samba to use a specific user or group for all file transactions at the operating system level regardless of the identities of the logged-in users. I used this for a company which wanted to limit its accounting system to a specific group of users. In this case we didn't care which user wrote a specific file to the system (the software handled that) and wanted to insure all of them could access every file.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Create a group, make sure all users are in it then make sure you force group permissions.
    There are probably a bunch of ways to accomplish this depending on your needs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I would utilize groups. Users can be in multiple groups. You can have "grp_users" assigned to the share for full read/write capability which allows all users to connect to the share and then limit permissions at the file/folder level. Here is a very simplified overview.

Example of Group (users):
    Code:
    grp_users (jon, joe, mary, jane)
    grp_providers (jon, joe, jane)
    grp_accounting (mary)
    grp_nurse (joe, jane)
    grp_doc (jon)
    Folder structure (owner of folder):
    Code:
    share (grp_users)
     |--> providers (grp_providers)
     |--> accouting (grp_accounting)
     |--> users (grp_users)
         |--> jon (jon)
         |--> joe (joe)
         |--> mary (mary)
         |--> jane (jane)
    Last edited by LHammonds; January 14th, 2021 at 05:28 AM.