Thread: System boots to flashing cursor with latest apt update

Beans

System boots to flashing cursor with latest apt update

So I just did my biweekly apt dist-upgrade on my two Ubuntu 20.04 systems, and now neither can boot, but stop at a black screen with a flashing cursor. (this occurs well after the grub menu) . I could kick myself for unwisely doing them simultaneously.

These are older Athlon 64 based machines, each running a geforce card.

If I boot into recovery mode, and then from the recovery menu choose 'resume normal boot', it does manage to load the desktop, but with slow choppy graphics.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

If not, how can I revert my apt dist-upgrade?

Many thanks.

Update: Choosing from the grub menu kernel 5.4.0 seems to make everything work OK again. I guess the 5.8.0 kernel hosed my system.
    Update 2: I suspect that the current nvidia drivers I'm using simply haven't been updated to the 5.8 kernel, which is preventing the desktop environment from starting. I guess I will just wait for a driver update.
    Last edited by BigErn; January 12th, 2021 at 09:10 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: System boots to flashing cursor with latest apt update

The new 5.8.0-36 kernel seems to have caused many problems for users so I imagine a further upgrade will appear fairly soon.

In the previous LTS versions the kernel series upgrades, as in yours from 5.4 to 5.8, did not happen until the point 2 release, ie 20.04.2.
    For some reason it has come to 20.04.1 earlier than usual, so you may have to stick with the 5.4 kernel for a while until you see a newer version of 5.8 appear when you boot to it and try it out again.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Why is it so incredibly important to upgrade to the latest, bleeding-adge kernel?

Just wait until it's stable.

20.04 LTS works wonderfully. Seems to be pure upgradeitis to me.

Beans

Thanks fellas.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You can use the grub menu/advanced options to boot into a 5.4 kernel where everything should work from there you should be able to
    Code:
    sudo apt remove linux-image-5.8.0-36-generic linux-generic-hwe-20.04 && sudo apt install linux-generic
    Hopefully that will keep you on the 5.4 LTS kernel

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ml9104 View Post
    Why is it so incredibly important to upgrade to the latest, bleeding-adge kernel?

Just wait until it's stable.

20.04 LTS works wonderfully. Seems to be pure upgradeitis to me.
    The problem seems to be that 20.04.1 installations are now automatically moving to the hwe kernels so users who are unaware of this are sometimes being faced with these difficulties when the 5.8.kernel is added and then boots by default.

I have yet to find why this is happening with the point 1 release; it usually starts only at the point 2 release.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy31 View Post
    You can use the grub menu/advanced options to boot into a 5.4 kernel where everything should work from there you should be able to
    Code:
    sudo apt remove linux-image-5.8.0-36-generic linux-generic-hwe-20.04 && sudo apt install linux-generic
    Hopefully that will keep you on the 5.4 LTS kernel
    This command worked a treat, many thanks.

(Also needed a sudo apt autoremove before the 5.8 kernel was removed from grub.)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    The problem seems to be that 20.04.1 installations are now automatically moving to the hwe kernels so users who are unaware of this are sometimes being faced with these difficulties when the 5.8.kernel is added and then boots by default.

I have yet to find why this is happening with the point 1 release; it usually starts only at the point 2 release.
    No. I've just done an update, which resulted in 5.4.0-62 being installed. Solid and stable.
    The problem is that some users have opted for "Pre-released updates" and perhaps even "Unsupported updates" in their update manager.

'Upgradeitis' brings pain.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ml9104 View Post
    No. I've just done an update, which resulted in 5.4.0-62 being installed. Solid and stable.
    The problem is that some users have opted for "Pre-released updates" and perhaps even "Unsupported updates" in their update manager.

'Upgradeitis' brings pain.
    No, it's not. The Ubuntu images have the HWE version of linux-generic installed by default. It only became apparent when the 5.8 series kernel rolled out. The other flavors are not effected:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...a/+bug/1911614

If that bug report gets no "effects me too" love it will likely never get fixed.