Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Reformat SDCard locked by other user read write

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    London
    Beans
    1,073

    Reformat SDCard locked by other user read write

    I have an SDCard I use in a Raspberry Pi4B to run nanoDLP(uses linux) OS for a 3D printer.
    The printer stopped suddenly, something with the OS must have gone wrong, leaving me with no option but to turn off via the power switch. I now have an SDCard that I can not use as it is locked by "a user" and my best option to fix things is to start over by reformatting the card. Trouble is GPart, and all the cmds I know do not work. They say they do not have the permissions required.

    Any ideas please?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    1,242
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: Reformat SDCard locked by other user read write

    When you open gparted, you should see a window asking for authentication?

    Enter your login password to access elevated privileges.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    596

    Re: Reformat SDCard locked by other user read write

    If you have access to Windows, there is a SDcard formatter program that is good. You did check to see if the little tab on side is in right position? If using sudo with CMDs should not have problem with permissions unless the tab is in wrong position.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    London
    Beans
    1,073

    Re: Reformat SDCard locked by other user read write

    Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    When you open gparted, you should see a window asking for authentication?

    Enter your login password to access elevated privileges.
    Thank you, but gparted always opens as administrator, requiring password. That does not work. But thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by crip720 View Post
    If you have access to Windows, there is a SDcard formatter program that is good. You did check to see if the little tab on side is in right position? If using sudo with CMDs should not have problem with permissions unless the tab is in wrong position.
    Thank you, but none of these work. This is a microSDCard so has no tab, and have tried Windows, with same. I have used sudo, but also same. Can not make changes.
    Last edited by howefield; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:46 PM. Reason: posts merged.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    596

    Re: Reformat SDCard locked by other user read write

    If using a micro SDCard holder, the holder will have a tab. Might also be looking at a card that has bit the dust. Even my cards that had only read permissions I could format easy.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    1,242
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: Reformat SDCard locked by other user read write

    Please explain what happens when you open gparted and enter your password?
    There must be something else wrong if your password fails to open it?

    In the meantime try:-

    gnome-disk-utility
    gparted in a live session

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    London
    Beans
    1,073

    Re: Reformat SDCard locked by other user read write

    Quote Originally Posted by crip720 View Post
    If using a micro SDCard holder, the holder will have a tab. Might also be looking at a card that has bit the dust. Even my cards that had only read permissions I could format easy.
    Thank you, but no. It is not in a holder. The card fits in the Pi without need for a holder, and I use it to work on in my PC which also does not need a holder - there is NO lock tab.

    This is LOCKED in read only because the it was being used by the Pi and crashed, so it is locked "by another user". I have used gparted and a couple of other formatters for about 15 yeas, they can not fix this. This needs a higher level of administration and cmd.

    Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Please explain what happens when you open gparted and enter your password?
    There must be something else wrong if your password fails to open it?

    In the meantime try:-

    gnome-disk-utility
    gparted in a live session
    It opens as normal after I enter my password and lists the card and it's contents, along with all the other HDs. I then select the card as normal and select delete. I then select action and it starts but stops saying it can not complete the action because the card is protected... Just tried STartup Disc creator and it says
    Could not write the disc image (/media/Documents/Project Plans/3D Printing/Setup/nanoDLP/images/nanodlp.img) to the device (/dev/sde).

    I need to reboot as GPart seems to be open in the background and not showing itself.

    PS: This is not an unheard of issue. I have seen a number of these cases, some say there is no way to recover the disc, but I do not believe in never and it works, just locked to a non existent user
    Last edited by howefield; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:47 PM. Reason: posts merged.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    1,242
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: Reformat SDCard locked by other user read write

    Why not write a new partition table to the card rather than deleting a partition?

    Or use parted via the terminal?

    https://www.tecmint.com/create-disk-...ions-in-linux/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    London
    Beans
    1,073

    Re: Reformat SDCard locked by other user read write

    Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Why not write a new partition table to the card rather than deleting a partition?

    Or use parted via the terminal?

    https://www.tecmint.com/create-disk-...ions-in-linux/
    Same issues - read only whether parted in a terminal or GParted opened directly and add PW or in a terminal under sudo su
    parted -l.pnggparted.png

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    596

    Re: Reformat SDCard locked by other user read write

    When I was having trouble with read only cards, did find some posts that with a command would remount them as read/write again. Google changing SD card to read write, and you should find them. Have problem understanding why you can't format them though, unless it is broken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •