Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sorry but i really need help with the cd command

Beans

Re: Sorry but i really need help with the cd command

Note that a simple little dot “.” also has two (or three) meanings.

A file name starting with a dot is a hidden file that doesn’t show when you do a normal “ls” command.

A dot used with ls or cd indicates the current directory and two dots indicate the previous directory.

UNIX is not unfriendly. It is just very choosy about who exactly its friends are...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    A file name starting with a dot is a hidden file that doesn’t show when you do a normal “ls” command.
    Fun fact: that was a bug that turned into a feature. Because

A dot used with ls or cd indicates the current directory and two dots indicate the previous directory.
    they didn't want ls to show . or .. and their first implementation just hid anything that started with a . rather than just those two. That behavior turned out to be useful, so they kept it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Good added explanations.

The "~" causes a getent() call to the OS to look up in the passwd database for either the current or specified userid'd HOME.
    ~tf will look up the tf password entry
    Well, after 25+ years using Linux, I'm obviously still a beginner. I just had to try that to see if it was true. It is.
    <Shuffles away shaking his head and mumbling...>

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    Well, after 25+ years using Linux, I'm obviously still a beginner. I just had to try that to see if it was true. It is.
    <Shuffles away shaking his head and mumbling...>
    If your experience is on single-user, not on team, systems, this wouldn't be important. Of course, just saw that 21.04 HOME directories will get 750 permissions by default.
    https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/priva...-onwards/19533

That will force users to learn about group membership. In the old days, accounts wouldn't get their own group created. This always bothered me. Put users into the 'users' group and every different team would get a different group to control access to group-specific files. Home Linux users miss out on the group stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12