Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For long term storage purposes which is better, an external SSD or Thumb-drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Question For long term storage purposes which is better, an external SSD or Thumb-drive?

Have some important documents, pix, mp3s etc I want to safely save/store.
    Wondering which is the best above device to save them on for the long term?
    Ubuntu 18.04.1 64bit Ext4 on a Dell Studio XPS Desktop Intel® Core™ i7-860 2.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 ram and Dual booting: Ubuntu 14.04 64bit Ext4 & 32bit Vista Home Premium, on a Toshiba laptop dual core AMD Turion 64, 2.0 GHz, 4GB ram.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: For long term storage purposes which is better, an external SSD or Thumb-drive?

Just my 2 cents worth on this and I'm still testing both.
    With solid state drives still being in their relative infancy, it will likely be a few more years before we get a true picture of how well they hold up to repeated use.

The lifespan of each memory block in an SSD is limited to a certain number of write cycles i.e. the number of times a piece of data can be stored to it.

The number of cycles will only be a few thousand on most drives. This sounds alarmingly low, but is not really an issue in modern SSDs. Unlike hard drives, which write their data to the earliest free block, an SSD uses technique called wear-levelling to ensure that each memory block is used before the cycle begins again at the first block.

Unless you're writing tens of gigabytes of data a day, every day for several years, you won't get close to the limit on write cycles. Even if you did, the memory would become read-only, so your data would still be accessible.

USB flash drives, as well as memory cards like SD cards, have similar issues to solid state drives.

They have fewer components and are far more robust, but are restricted to a finite number of write cycles usually in the range of 3,000 to 5,000. And since they tend to use cheaper memory modules, they can be less reliable than SSDs.

Again, though, this needs to be kept in perspective.

If you're using the flash drive for its primary purpose of moving files from one location to another, then a cheap drive will be more likely to fail through physical damage (such as breaking the connection between the USB jack and the printed circuit board inside the drive), before the write limit is reached.
    My humble thoughts thus far are A good reputable SSD is my choice.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Re: For long term storage purposes which is better, an external SSD or Thumb-drive?

1fallen thanks for your comments.

To date am still using an old 160GB Seagate IDE HDD in an enclosure from back in 2008 for storage. Along with a couple newer Flashdrives. Lately the 160GB Seagate HDD takes a little time to spin-up after turning it on, which worries me. This got me thinking better get something newer to transfer all its old stored data to while it's still possible.
    Ubuntu 18.04.1 64bit Ext4 on a Dell Studio XPS Desktop Intel® Core™ i7-860 2.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 ram and Dual booting: Ubuntu 14.04 64bit Ext4 & 32bit Vista Home Premium, on a Toshiba laptop dual core AMD Turion 64, 2.0 GHz, 4GB ram.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I know that feeling, I also way back bought a couple of My Books with spinning hard drives, that I use very sparingly now.
    I first began my test with an intel 180gig SSD with a 10 year warranty, I transfer d back and forth writing and rewriting almost daily for 5 years now.
    My Thumb Drives did not make it past 2-3 years, while the Intel and WD's SSD's i'm using still preform as new.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I back up my local and remote servers to a 4 TB USB external drive. Been working flawlessly for a couple of years now.

https://www.newegg.com/seagate-model...82E16822178817
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I back up my local and remote servers to a 4 TB USB external drive. Been working flawlessly for a couple of years now.

https://www.newegg.com/seagate-model...82E16822178817
    Mine aren't seagate but Western Digital 2 TB, and they still function good after 9-10 years, but showing signs of age.
    I put mine through a literal hell ie: restoring partitions and data recovery, daily transfers. (Back when they were in everyday use)
    But for myself, i convinced me>> For long term storage purposes SSD's will be my choice for local storage.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

SSD's do seem to last. Got a couple in my main i7 desktop that are used every day.
    A 120GB Kingston installed 4/2013 and a 480GB SanDisk installed 2014.
    System Monitor report both show Old-age or Pre-Fail but they both still operate like new.

Then again this desktop has a 2TB Seagate HDD installed in 2112 that still runs fine. This 2TB Seagate HDD replaced an OEM 1TB Seagate HDD that failed 3½ years after getting that i7.....6 months after the 3 yr warranty it had expired!
    Last edited by cybrsaylr; January 12th, 2021 at 10:59 PM.

Beans

My experience says external USB drives DO FAIL.
    And if they got 2 GB of data, thats a problem.
    2 times they have failed to me, first one SeaGate 2 TB, second 4TB Western Digital.
    Used them for backup, so it was twice a week.

SSD seem pretty solid to me, but size is still a bit expensive

Beans
    Distro

Got a, Samsung - T7 500GB External USB 3.2 Gen 2 Portable Solid State Drive with Hardware Encryption.

Plugged SSD into my i7 desktop via USB-C cable.

Disks: does show a 500 GB Disk, Samsung PSSD T7 is there.

But I can't get it to open? Help, what is needed to be able to use this exSSD?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What format is it?
    NTFS, exFAT, FAT or other?

Post this.
    sudo parted -l
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast