Thread: apt-get update fails to find security Release and Packages on local mirror

Beans

apt-get update fails to find security Release and Packages on local mirror

i have built a local mirror for 16.04. apt-get update fails to find xenial-security Release and Packages files.

Code:
    Reading package lists... Done                                                                                                                               
    W: The repository 'file:/mnt/urepo/ubuntu1604/mirror/archive.ubuntu/ubuntu xenial-security Release' does not have a Release file.
    N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
    N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
    E: Failed to fetch file:/mnt/urepo/ubuntu1604/mirror/archive.ubuntu/ubuntu/dists/xenial-security/main/binary-amd64/Packages  File not found - /mnt/urepo/ubuntu1604/mirror/archive.ubuntu/ubuntu/dists/xenial-security/main/binary-amd64/Packages (2: No such file or directory)
    E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    both files are in the mirror. both are set to mode 644 along with their respective directory tree.
    Code:
    /mnt/urepo/ubuntu1604/mirror/archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-security# ls -l
    total 168684
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   109198 Jan 10 12:03 InRelease
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   108233 Jan 10 12:03 Release
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root      916 Jan 10 12:03 Release.gpg

/mnt/urepo/ubuntu1604/mirror/archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-security/main/binary-amd64# ls -l
    total 11360
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8204866 Jan 10 12:08 Packages
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1896320 Jan 10 12:03 Packages.gz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1521064 Jan 10 12:03 Packages.xz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     105 Jan 10 12:03 Release
    instead of the web server, i'm using an nfs mount. the only thing i can think of is my sources.list file is incorrect or missing an option.
    Code:
    deb file:///mnt/urepo/ubuntu1604/mirror/archive.ubuntu/ubuntu/ xenial-security main restricted multiverse universe
    can anyone make a suggestion on what i'm doing wrong or missing?

thanks,
    gobo
    Last edited by gobo7; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: apt-get update fails to find security Release and Packages on local mirror

16.04 support ends in a few months. Is this issue really worth solving at ts point?
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
    https://ubuntu.com/about/release-cycle

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    16.04 support ends in a few months. Is this issue really worth solving at ts point?
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
    https://ubuntu.com/about/release-cycle
    unfortunately yes, due to libraries and kernel version. it is the reason i built the mirror.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When I examine my sources.list file I see similarities.

This looks about right.
    deb file:///mnt/urepo/ubuntu1604/mirror/archive.ubuntu/ubuntu/ xenial-security main restricted multiverse universe
    But this looks a different path. Or am I misunderstanding?

/mnt/urepo/ubuntu1604/mirror/archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-security
    And so does this.

mnt/urepo/ubuntu1604/mirror/archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-security/main/binary-amd64
    Extra directories, yes? Where is the release file? Is it in .../mirror/archive.ubuntu/ubuntu/ ? That is where Update is looking. So, why the reference to archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-security ?

Well, you did invite anyone to make a suggestion. And I am anyone.

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; 1 Week Ago at 12:54 AM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    When I examine my sources.list file I see similarities.

Extra directories, yes? Where is the release file? Is it in .../mirror/archive.ubuntu/ubuntu/ ? That is where Update is looking. So, why the reference to archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-security ?

Well, you did invite anyone to make a suggestion. And I am anyone.

Regards
    the directory ".../mirror/archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu" was made by apt-mirror. i should have included the statement from my mirror.lists (and didn't)
    Code:
    deb-amd64 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security main restricted universe multiverse
    under archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu are two directories -- dists and pool.

the Packages file apt-get update is fussing about does exist:
    Code:
    /mnt/urepo/ubuntu1604/mirror/archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-security/main/binary-amd64$ ls -l
    total 11360
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8204866 Jan 12 00:11 Packages
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1896320 Jan 11 23:55 Packages.gz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1521264 Jan 11 23:55 Packages.xz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     105 Jan 11 23:55 Release
    on a test machine i didn't care much about, i just picked a package to install from the mirror. it worked. it installed the oldest version in the mirror not the latest. so that kinda tells me the directory structure is mostly correct. mostly???