Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is ubuntu booting into an old kernel by default?

Beans

Re: Why is ubuntu booting into an old kernel by default?

I have a similar question. My laptop (Ryzen 4700U) doesn't work with the 20.04 kernels because they don't have the required drivers, so I had to install a recent kernel-ppa/mainline. I tend to get and install the latest whenever I see an apt update fetching another 5.4 kernel, on the basis that there must be a seciruty update in there. I'm currently on 5.10.5. This also involved disabling secure boot.

I gather that there may now be linux-generic-hwe-20.04 and linux-generic-hwe-20.04-edge package that could be installed. Apparently, these install kernel 5.8.0. Is there any more information on these anywhere? I haven't seen any announcements, let alone advice on which of the two is recommended under what circumstances.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Does this depend on the original .iso version installed? I installed right at the start of life of the released version 20.04, not 20.04.1, and I am not offered the 5.8 kernels when upgrading, only the 5.4 series.

I have no hwe packages installed but I'm aware that I could add them if I wanted, which currently I don't.
    TJ on IRC said that the 20.04 desktop ISO had the hwe listed in the manifest. It is possible that an update in the past removed the hwe and installed linux-generic. My ISO was dated 24 April 2020 so it was from before the first point release

I found the manifest file at http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/relea...amd64.manifest and it does list linux-generic-hwe-20.04 5.4.0.26.32

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    I have a similar question. My laptop (Ryzen 4700U) doesn't work with the 20.04 kernels because they don't have the required drivers, so I had to install a recent kernel-ppa/mainline. I tend to get and install the latest whenever I see an apt update fetching another 5.4 kernel, on the basis that there must be a seciruty update in there. I'm currently on 5.10.5. This also involved disabling secure boot.

I gather that there may now be linux-generic-hwe-20.04 and linux-generic-hwe-20.04-edge package that could be installed. Apparently, these install kernel 5.8.0. Is there any more information on these anywhere? I haven't seen any announcements, let alone advice on which of the two is recommended under what circumstances.
    I suspect if you remove linux-generic you won't get any more 5.4 kernel updates that you don't need.

The linux-generic-hwe and edge likely install the same kernel now but edge could change when 21.04 is released
    Last edited by jeremy31; January 10th, 2021 at 02:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I installed 20.04 on 16 April 2020 but I do not have the .iso file any more so can not tell you when it was created or downloaded, but as you will see from that date, I downloaded it a few days before it was released, probably the RC version.

I do have linux-generic installed, as I thought was the case, so I do get, and will continue to get, kernel versions in the 5.4 series as expected.

However, I do not have the linux-generic-hwe-20.04 package and did not expect it to be installed, therefore I do not get the 5.8 series of kernels and incidentally have no need for that series as my hardware is six years old. You seem to be suggesting that the linux-generc-hwe-20.04 was included in your .iso file dated just 8 days after mine though I was always believed that package and the hwe kernel versions appeared by default only after the release of the point 2 versions of the .iso.

Do you know if there has been, or is intended to be, any change to the timing of the hwe kernels being included in .iso files in future?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I did notice that the 20.04 Beta ISO did not have the hwe installed according to the manifest file but instead used linux-generic which would keep you on 5.4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That explains it then, but it is certainly a change from what I thought was the expected behaviour related to the hwe updating system, ie, it would be included only in iso point version 2.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

That explains it then, but it is certainly a change from what I thought was the expected behaviour related to the hwe updating system,
    ajgreeny I was going batty over this at first....I kept asking folks in other threads about proposed but none replied back. (Shame on them a simple yes or no)
    jeremy31 finally put the madness to ease in the post above.
    the hwe meta was still pointing to the 5.4 generic kernel, until this week when we released an update to pull the hwe-5.8 backport
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

That explains it then, but it is certainly a change from what I thought was the expected behaviour related to the hwe updating system, ie, it would be included only in iso point version 2.
    Yes indeed as in the past only the second point release caused this madness

Beans

I asked about this at ubuntu-release:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ry/005145.html

That was the 9th, in the wee hours of the morning. So far no response. I maintain too many computers to fool with HWE unless it's absolutely needed for specific hardware which very seldom happens since most of the hardware I deal with is C2D era stuff, with a bit of I3, I5, and I7 stuff thrown in, and a couple of old but reliable AMD based PC's that just won't die!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Does this depend on the original .iso version installed? I installed right at the start of life of the released version 20.04, not 20.04.1, and I am not offered the 5.8 kernels when upgrading, only the 5.4 series.

I have no hwe packages installed but I'm aware that I could add them if I wanted, which currently I don't.
    It does.
    It has been that way at least since 16.04 but probably before. I noticed that due to an old Nvidia that was/is supported by the 304 driver only. That driver could be installed up to the original 16.04 kernel. I had to chase the original 16.04 ISO with the LTS kernel, any other point release would either install a newer "304 incompatible" kernel or would update to one soon after.

So, assuming the same situation here, those who installed pre-releases or the original release of 20.04 will be kept in the 5.4 series for the entire LTS life - getting security updates only for said kernel series - and may opt-in newer kernels by installing HWE. Everybody else, since 20.04.1, will get kernel updates to same kernel series the current release comes with after some time after said interim release. The 5.8 series kernel is the same as 20.10.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

But it used to be the point 2 release version that automatically upgraded the the higher kernel version, not the point 1 release as is currently happening.
    That is why I was asking the question, now answered it seems by jeremy31 in post #17.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast