Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why is ubuntu booting into an old kernel by default?

Beans

Re: Why is ubuntu booting into an old kernel by default?

I'm reasonably certain that this was a screw-up. Besides the link I included with my message to ubuntu-release this link reaffirms that:

https://ubuntu.com/about/release-cyc...-release-cycle

I assume that at some point during 20.04.1 development 'linux-generic' was replaced by 'linux-generic-hwe-20.04'. In fact if this had been intentional the HWE update should also have included the HWE Xstack.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy31 View Post
    I did notice that the 20.04 Beta ISO did not have the hwe installed according to the manifest file but instead used linux-generic which would keep you on 5.4
    In deed. I checked the .iso manifests this morning and both 20.04 and 20.04.1 show linux-generic-hwe-20.04, but the Beta shows linux-generic. This was clearly a mistake based on all the support documentation I've found.

Beans

In deed. I checked the .iso manifests this morning and both 20.04 and 20.04.1 show linux-generic-hwe-20.04, but the Beta shows linux-generic. This was clearly a mistake based on all the support documentation I've found.
    I am not sure if I understand it right. The only way to stay with 5.4 kernel is to install Ubuntu 20.04 (beta)? Can I expect they (Ubuntu team) will change both Ubuntu 20.04 and Ubuntu 20.04.1 to work this way?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I think if you install 20.04 or 20.04.1 without internet, so it doesn't update, you should be able to boot into the install and remove the linux-generic-hwe-20.04 and install linux-generic before updating and you should be able to stay on the 5.4 LTS kernel

Beans

I'm still gathering data as time allows. This appears to be limited to Ubuntu only. I didn't check all of the flavors but for Ubuntu MATE, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Lubuntu have linux-generic on their 20.04.1 images. I'm going to see what happens if I do a fresh install of Ubuntu MATE, update, and then install 'ubuntu-desktop' to see what happens. Obviously I need to file a bug report because no one at ubuntu-release answered my question. And it's really not a 'linux' bug - it's a build bug. So I'm just trying to figure out how best to file a bug report. I think it falls into the 'ubuntu-meta' category but you can't file an ubuntu-meta bug because it's not an installed package.

Beans

I filed a bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...a/+bug/1911614

More subscribers and marking it as effecting you too will turn up the heat. No heat - no fix.

Beans

Thanks for answers. I am afraid this is disaster for newcomers dependent on nvidia-340 driver. They had fine working OS and all of the sudden after nine months, they had to become power users or worst, they gave up on Ubuntu.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123