Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kernel 5.8.0-34-generic CRASHED

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Kernel 5.8.0-34-generic CRASHED

Can you load a recovery kernel from Advanced Options for Ubuntu? If so, then select Network to get a connection to the internet. Then select Root to get to a root shell (terminal). We exit the command line and get back to the recovery menu by typing exit.

At the root shell we can remove the Nvidia driver with

Code:
    apt remove --purge nvidia*
    When back at the recovery menu Resume will load the Ubuntu desktop with an open source video driver. If you get a black screen, then re-boot. If you cannot load a recovery kernel you may have work from a Live session to install a 5.4 kernel.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I have issue with nvidia drivers in my 20.10.
    After installation driver and reboot system my X server don't get up.

Code:
    udo lshw -numeric -C display[sudo] hasło użytkownika graba: 
      *-display UNCLAIMED       
           description: 3D controller
           product: GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile] [10DE:1C8C]
           vendor: NVIDIA Corporation [10DE]
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
           version: a1
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
           configuration: latency=0
           resources: memory:de000000-deffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:d0000000-d1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:df000000-df07ffff
      *-display
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: HD Graphics 630 [8086:591B]
           vendor: Intel Corporation [8086]
           physical id: 2
           bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
           version: 04
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
           resources: irq:126 memory:dd000000-ddffffff memory:b0000000-bfffffff ioport:f000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have been running in one of the older 5.4 kernels for over a week. I did even boot into the newest kernel with root access to CLI (5.8.0-38-generic) which was installed this morning. I have been forbidding the updater to delete the two older 5.4 kernels that still work.

I'll give this a try later and let you know. I do know what menu items you're talking about and can use those tools enough to be dangerous. Just FYI, there are now three 5.8 kernels that do not load on my machine.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by farlander762 View Post
    I have been forbidding the updater to delete the two older 5.4 kernels that still work.
    If you remove the HWE metapackages, it will stop giving you more new kernels, and the non-HWE metapackage will give you security updates to the 5.4 branch. As the kernel branch that came with the release, 5.4 will be supported for the full five years.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you remove the HWE metapackages, it will stop giving you more new kernels, and the non-HWE metapackage will give you security updates to the 5.4 branch. As the kernel branch that came with the release, 5.4 will be supported for the full five years.
    I understand what you're saying, I don't how to do it. Additionally, I want it to keep up to date. To my understanding, updates are the best way to keep a Linux system secure.

apt remove --purge nvidia*
    Tried this, it just said it couldn't find the nvidia* package. I also tried *nvidia just to be sure. In the 5.4 kernel it says I am using the attached. I have no idea about the manually installed part. Other options are not selectable.

2021.01.14 Graphics Driver.jpg

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by farlander762 View Post
    I understand what you're saying, I don't how to do it.
    The post CelticWarrior linked to gives the instructions.

The metapackages don't install anything themselves: their function is to depend on the latest version of another package or group of packages so that you can install them in one go, and have multiple versions installed at once in the case of the Linux metapackages. The HWE package, which is giving you 5.8 kernels and that you want to remove, is called linux-generic-hwe-20.04. The non-HWE metapackage, which will give you 5.4 kernels and that you want to make sure you have installed, is called linux-generic.

Additionally, I want it to keep up to date. To my understanding, updates are the best way to keep a Linux system secure.
    The 5.4 branch (and all the Ubuntu packages) get security updates and bug fixes. That's how Ubuntu's release model works. They don't get new features or higher version numbers except in special cases; enabling the use of brand new hardware is one of those special cases, done through the Hardware Enablement stack. In your case, the HWE isn't what you want. You can always reinstall it later, if you see reports that the problem you're experiencing has been fixed and you particularly want the newer features that come with the higher version number kernel.

Tried this, it just said it couldn't find the nvidia* package. I also tried *nvidia just to be sure.
    Apt doesn't support using special characters like *. The alternative apt-get does.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

All, thanks for the help. I've got two confusers out of 6 so far that had issues with 5.8 and have been rolled back to 5.4. CW's link got me there. I'm stable, which means I'm happy!

Thanks again!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12