Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New PC build but Linux will not boot correctly

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: New PC build but Linux will not boot correctly

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    I set one of these up once for customer to boot both Win10 And Linux, he was very additament about not touching anything with Secure Boot to install. (I wanted to just let him keep his PC and take it elsewhere) But I accepted the challenge. I did not disable Secure Boot on this install.
    BitLocker Device Encryption is enabled by default since Windows 8.1 if it has the proper hardware and the user signs in with a Microsoft Account, and Windows 10 expanded on that.

Depending on your device, you may have to boot into your installation usb/media from the Windows Settings app: System and Updates: Recovery: Advanced Startup. (That makes sense right?)

For new readers here, ***You shouldn’t select to use the entire drive.*** If you want to Keep Windows....Wiser choice would be to dual boot Windows/Linux or use a another drive for your install.
    Thanks so much, this is a stand alone build and I will not be dual booting, every OS will have it's own SSD....

This setup has become troublesome not having any luck flashing the BIOS and cannot get any tech support for Gigabyte

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by RobGoss View Post
    This setup has become troublesome not having any luck flashing the BIOS and cannot get any tech support for Gigabyte
    Sorry to hear that.
    Wouldn't they have a Bios CD they could send...or are they just not replying?
    Come to think about it>>>New Mother board>> should have come with a CD for Bios.
    Last edited by 1fallen; January 11th, 2021 at 10:58 PM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

The gigabyte site https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherbo...upport-dl-bios only offers the BIOS F60e as the latest (12/09/2020), not the F61 you mentioned. Try the F60e to update the F51. Where did you get the F61 version? I know my new Dell came with a firmware rev. beyond what's offered on the web site, but F51 is definitely at least one rev back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    Sorry to hear that.
    Wouldn't they have a Bios CD they could send...or are they just not replying?
    Come to think about it>>>New Mother board>> should have come with a CD for Bios.
    I have a CD the board came with but I don't have a CD drive in this machine only USB ports

Maybe I could get a External CD Drive and install it that way. I'm not sure what's on this CD would they have BIOS update on it?

I looked at the CD it says drivers utilities
    Last edited by RobGoss; January 12th, 2021 at 12:29 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ubfan1 View Post
    The gigabyte site https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherbo...upport-dl-bios only offers the BIOS F60e as the latest (12/09/2020), not the F61 you mentioned. Try the F60e to update the F51. Where did you get the F61 version? I know my new Dell came with a firmware rev. beyond what's offered on the web site, but F51 is definitely at least one rev back.
    Sorry my mistake I meant bios 60e, I've tried downloading the 60e and unable to flash it...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by RobGoss View Post
    Sorry my mistake I meant bios 60e, I've tried downloading the 60e and unable to flash it...
    Would you mind sharing exactly how are you trying to do that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Would you mind sharing exactly how are you trying to do that?
    Sure, I downloaded the latest bios files 60e, extracted it plugged my USB in copying those extracted files to that USB

I then when into my bios and used the Q flash option chose the bios files but I always get a error can't flash this file
    Last edited by RobGoss; January 12th, 2021 at 05:45 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

What format is USB?
    UEFI only reads from FAT32.

I made my ESP larger & changed permissions so I could use it and my downloaded UEFI updates go into ESP. And then read direct from UEFI the file I downloaded.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    What format is USB?
    UEFI only reads from FAT32.

I made my ESP larger & changed permissions so I could use it and my downloaded UEFI updates go into ESP. And then read direct from UEFI the file I downloaded.
    I believe its FAT.32, Fred

I'm assuming my BIOS need to set to UEFI correct?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

There is not really BIOS anymore, its CSM. For UEFI update no setting should be required.
    CSM - UEFI Compatibility Support Module (CSM), which emulates a BIOS mode, only available with secure boot off.

And CSM is extra chip and software to do that emulation. UEFI class 3 is UEFI without CSM.

Intel is planning to end "legacy BIOS" support in their new platforms by 2020 in requiring UEFI Class 3 or higher.
    http://www.uefi.org/sites/default/fi...ntel_Final.pdf
    https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/sol...-2020-products
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast