Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New PC build but Linux will not boot correctly

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: New PC build but Linux will not boot correctly

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Often UEFI and if SSD, SSD firmware updates are required. You may need them even if new system.
    Possible similar issues:
    Gigabyte B450 Ryzen needs updated kernel & mesa drivers
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2408247 &
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2423649
    Hello Fred thanks so much for the helpful information my friend

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks so much everyone I will take your suggestions and do a bit more research

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I agree with the others, upgrade the BIOS unless it's pretty recent. I generally don't load the latest unless it's been out for a while, I flash 1 version old. If there are problems with that one, the problem is more likely to be known. I had an Asrock AB350M board that required a certain BIOS version to boot 2nd or 3rd generation Ryzen CPUs. I currently have an MSI B450 board that worked out of the box.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I agree with the others, upgrade the BIOS unless it's pretty recent. I generally don't load the latest unless it's been out for a while, I flash 1 version old. If there are problems with that one, the problem is more likely to be known. I had an Asrock AB350M board that required a certain BIOS version to boot 2nd or 3rd generation Ryzen CPUs. I currently have an MSI B450 board that worked out of the box.
    Thank you Kurt, the problem I'm having is no matter what I try I cannot update the BIOS I have 51 bios version and it's showing there's another version 61 available. But when I try using the flashing feature within the BIOS it always fails

I have Windows 10 installed on one drive but wanted to install Ubuntu mate on a new 500 GB SSD with no luck
    Last edited by RobGoss; January 10th, 2021 at 09:00 PM.

Beans

Take a look at https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...upport-dl-bios -- some of the older entries like F40's suggestion to use a new flash tool: EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR incompatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU. Might try a different flash mechanism. Another thought I had, does the W10 use bitlocker? BIOS/firmware changes might invalidate the TPM key, and ask your for a "recovery key" -- which if you never set one up, and never had one squirreled away on the sly when you set up a Microsoft Account or domain account, you would be out of luck, until maybe a factory reset gets you back to something the TPM recognizes. Anyway, might be better/necessary to turn off bitlocker before a flash, then turn it back on. The link stops at 60e, so maybe another site would be better to examine for release notes on your 61.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ubfan1 View Post
    Take a look at https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...upport-dl-bios -- some of the older entries like F40's suggestion to use a new flash tool: EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR incompatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU. Might try a different flash mechanism. Another thought I had, does the W10 use bitlocker? BIOS/firmware changes might invalidate the TPM key, and ask your for a "recovery key" -- which if you never set one up, and never had one squirreled away on the sly when you set up a Microsoft Account or domain account, you would be out of luck, until maybe a factory reset gets you back to something the TPM recognizes. Anyway, might be better/necessary to turn off bitlocker before a flash, then turn it back on. The link stops at 60e, so maybe another site would be better to examine for release notes on your 61.
    Another thought I had, does the W10 use bitlocker? BIOS
    I'm not really sure I would have to look into that, I'm assuming bitlocker would in the BIOS some were correct?

thanks so much

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I set one of these up once for customer to boot both Win10 And Linux, he was very additament about not touching anything with Secure Boot to install. (I wanted to just let him keep his PC and take it elsewhere) But I accepted the challenge. I did not disable Secure Boot on this install.
    BitLocker Device Encryption is enabled by default since Windows 8.1 if it has the proper hardware and the user signs in with a Microsoft Account, and Windows 10 expanded on that.

Depending on your device, you may have to boot into your installation usb/media from the Windows Settings app: System and Updates: Recovery: Advanced Startup. (That makes sense right?)

For new readers here, ***You shouldn’t select to use the entire drive.*** If you want to Keep Windows....Wiser choice would be to dual boot Windows/Linux or use a another drive for your install.
    Last edited by 1fallen; January 11th, 2021 at 12:19 AM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans

Excuse the rant, but Bitlocker may be a time bomb waiting to brick your machine. New machines (W10 pro) come with encrypted disks and Bitlocker inactive. (Huh? read the below).

Bitlocker is Microsoft's commercial product for key management -- not the key that encrypts your data/disk (Full Volume Encryption Key, FVEK), or even the
    key (Volume Master Key, VMK) which encrypts the FVEK, but keys to encrypt the VMK. Lots of keys to provide some mechanism to respond to a user who asks
    for help getting their data back, after losing their recovery password.... These key storage/generation mechanisms are numerous and not all under user control. You can avoid some
    of these mechanisms, but not all. By not setting up the network on a new machine, no Microsoft Account can be generated (so no copy of a recovery key can be made).
    Likewise not joining a domain. The Tusted Platform Module (TPM) can generate a key (to decrypt the VMK) using certain hashes of platform values (PCR registers)
    (like BIOS hashes, etc.) so just copying the disk and trying to read it on another machine will fail.

The gotcha: New machine come with the disk already encrypted! Bitlocker "activation" is just setting up a few more recovery mechanisms. If you never
    "activate", you are still running an encrypted disk, relying on the TPM and certain hashes to decrypt -- note, no password, or pin necessary for this
    mechanism. Everything may be fine for months, until maybe a Windows update or a BIOS update or device order change occurs and the TPM hashes decide the machine is different
    and not to be trusted, so asks for another mechanism: "Please enter the "recovery" key. Oh my, that key may never have been set up. There may be no other mechanism to decode the VMK.
    If you're lucky, you can reverse whatever change occured, and recover your data.

The lesson: If you leave the (Bitlocker) disk encryption in place, at least generate a recovery key for your own use.

If you turn off the encryption (manager-bde -off /dev/sdxy) what have you lost?
    Your disk/data may be copied. Your device (laptop) may be stolen and data exposed.

If you think it's necessary to really protect something valuable, you should at least
    consider the following questions:
    1)Who generated the FVEK? Microsoft, the vendor, the government,... who knows.
    2)Is the FVEK in some database along with the MAC addr, CPU ID, device serial no.?
    3)How many copied of the database exist, who has access?
    4)How easy is to to make a new database copy -- court order, employee bribe,...?

It would appear the security horse has left the barn, before you set up your first
    recovery key. Setting up a Microsoft Account and storing a Bitlocker recovery
    key there, may not make things much worse.

For those who take responsibility for safeguarding/storing keys they generate themselves,
    there are other mechanisms for disk encryption.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

BitLocker Device Encryption is enabled by default

Is this something I have to disable in my BIOS?

Beans

You can see the status of your Bitlocker situation with
    manage-bde -status
    Somewhat misleading, since Protection off just means you haven't set up any of your recovery keys. Look at the disk encryption label, it's 0% when decrypted.
    To decrypt the disk, use
    manage-bde -off
    My new SSD only took about 10 minutes to finish,.
    There was nothing in my UEFISettings/BIOS that I changed, but I suppose any TPM settings would change things -- mabe not for the better. If your TPM has your only "recovery" key, and you clear it, you have just bricked your machine. Figure out first if you want disk encryption, and either turn it off or make another recovery key of your own. Relying only on the TPM's PCR hashes for decoding will lead to much grief (Google has many such cases).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast