Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My speaker is always playing music at a very low level

Beans

My speaker is always playing music at a very low level

Sitting at my desk I can hear music coming out of my speakers at a very low volume, when nothing at all should be coming out. I can't increase the volume. Whne I have some audio playing the speaker works fine.

I think I have a ghost.

Any idea what could cause that?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: My speaker is always playing music at a very low level

Maybe something about your physical audio setup is causing your speakers to act as a radio? That has happened to me before
    Xubuntu 22.04, ArchLinux ♦ System76 hardware, virt-manager/KVM, VirtualBox
    When your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

Beans

I would suspect you have a powerful radio transmitter close to your house. Have one near me and had a TV(instant on type) when off could hear the radio station from speaker, very low volume, almost needed ear beside speaker to hear.

Beans

The computer is in my office on the 14th floor of a high rise building. I can only barely hear it when the speakers are on and nothing is playing through them. If I turn the speaker power off it stops. As far as I know I don't have a radio transmitter nearby. There are several radio and TV studios nearby but their transmitters are all pretty far away. I have a number of other computers in the office with nearly identical hardware. None of the other computers have this problem, but most of them have speakers in the monitors, mine if the only one has desktop speakers. Maybe I'll try different speakers - time to look in the junk box.

Years ago in a former house there was some kind of over powered outlaw radio in the neighborhood that would occasionally interfere with TV reception overpowering the audio, especially in our second floor bedroom. It was notorious and the FCC was trying to find the culprit because there were lots of complaints. We moved before they found them so I don't know what happened.

Beans

It might be just the location your speakers are, picking up radio waves from somewhere, maybe wireless speakers on another floor. Imagine in your location not easy just move system around office. Sometimes a system needs a small location to pick up waves, a few feet away might be all that is needed to lose it. One of those things unless you hate the music, might just as well live with it. System damage not possible at such low power. If only music, no talking or ads, then someone might be using a system to transmit to speakers near by them but your system picking it up also.

Beans

OK it got weirder.

I changed the speakers for a different set and it got worse (louder), at least it's now loud enough to actually hear the music now.

I found if I turn off the power to the speakers it stops, if I disconnect the speakers from the computer it stops. Neither the volume control on the speakers nor the volume control in the computer make any difference.

If I move the speakers it seems to make a difference in the volume, but not a lot. Sometimes moving one will make the other louder.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Just a thought is bluetooth enabled?
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Speakers plus wires plus the way your system is setup and located, are picking up radio/wireless waves. If you enjoy the music, be happy. Moving system around office, might find it goes away or gets better(louder). Would see if both speakers need to be on/connected or just single speaker.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    Just a thought is bluetooth enabled?
    No bluetooth.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crip720 View Post
    Speakers plus wires plus the way your system is setup and located, are picking up radio/wireless waves. If you enjoy the music, be happy. Moving system around office, might find it goes away or gets better(louder). Would see if both speakers need to be on/connected or just single speaker.
    I'll try moving it around, I do need to find a way to stop it but my useful options are limited. The radio station - WWOZ - is one I listen to all the time. I'm a little confused about how the signal penetrates the steel case which ought to act as a sort of Faraday cage. I suppose the cables could be acting as a sort of antenna.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast