Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ram type & speed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Ram type & speed

In one of my Desktops OS is Ubuntu 18.04.5 32 bit. RAM is 2 GB. Processor is Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz × 2 . Now I would like to upgrade my OS to Ubuntu 20.04. As I have heard that minimum RAM should be 4 GB for 20.04. Therefore, I would like to increase the RAM. How do I know the required speed of RAM commensurate with my PC for purchasing another one?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ram type & speed

There are different issues to unpack here.
    Firstly, you CAN'T upgrade to 20.04 if you have 32-bit hardware. 18.04 is the last LTS release with 32-bit support. After that you need to find a different Linux family of OSes, like Debian, that still support it. For how long is the question to which I have no answer.

4GB of RAM is considered the bare minimum nowadays to a comfortable experience. This isn't related with the 20.04 release specifically.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Although you've been running a 32-bit install, that processor is apparently 64-bit. So you'll be able to do a fresh install of a 64-bit OS since, as CelticWarrior says, 32-bit can't be upgraded.

You'll need to look in your motherboard's manual to know which RAM you can use. From the vintage it might be DDR2 or DDR3. You'll also be able to see from there what your maximum RAM configuration is. The older types of RAM may be hard to find and expensive; there's a sweet spot of when to buy RAM. When a new type has just been invented, supply is low and prices are high. Then production increases and prices fall. Then production stops, and you can only get them from hoarders, so prices go right up.

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

The E5200 is 64-bit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A Q8400 is about 3x faster CPU that will work in the same motherboard. It uses DDR3.

How can I say this nicely. Sometimes RAM upgrades are a bad idea without replacing everything else too. I probably wouldn't spend $10 to upgrade RAM on a computer that old.

I bet you can find a Q8400 + MB + 8G of RAM for $40 somewhere. I'd be happy to get $40 for my E6600 + 8G RAM and MB. One person's junk is another person's goldmine. If spending $80 is possible, then an off-lease business computer with a Core i5 could be found that is 4-8x faster with plenty of RAM. And if your case is standard, replacing the MB + CPU +RAM can often been done for $200 total to provide 10x+ more performance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am thinking about the video adapter. How much of its own memory does the video card have? It is good that the machine can run Ubuntu 18.04 but Xubuntu or Lubuntu might be more suitable for the video adapter in that machine.

As already suggested at what point does upgrading the parts of a machine become equal in cost to purchasing newer and more powerful, but not the latest hardware.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

FYI, $40 can be quite a lot of money in India. Not to mention $80 or even $200. "Flaunting it" is not very nice.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ml9104 View Post
    FYI, $40 can be quite a lot of money in India. Not to mention $80 or even $200. "Flaunting it" is not very nice.
    $40 is quite a bit of money to me as well, but I wouldn't assume that someone else couldn't use information regardless of price. Those considerations are for the OP to decide. At least the information was provided, which is often appreciated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    $40 is quite a bit of money to me as well, but I wouldn't assume that someone else couldn't use information regardless of price. Those considerations are for the OP to decide. At least the information was provided, which is often appreciated.
    Fair point.

But the HW race sometimes goes too far. I'm running Lubuntu 20.04 on two 12-year old HP 6910p machines, one with 2 GB, the other with 4 GB, and both run very fast and with no problems at all.
    1 GB of RAM (SO-DIMM 666/800) costs around $6 these days. To me it seems an alternative that's a lot cheaper.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I was looking at adding ram to a system and found the following command told me what type and speed ram is currently in it:

Code:
    sudo dmidecode -t 17
    For each used memory slot, you'll get a listing like this

Code:
    Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x001C
        Error Information Handle: No Error
        Total Width: 64 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 16384 MB
        Form Factor: SODIMM
        Set: None