Thread: Kubuntu 20.04.1 fresh install - paste problems ??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Kubuntu 20.04.1 fresh install - paste problems ??

Since doing a fresh install of 20.04.1 (this was necessary as updating 19.10 was removed), there have been quite a number of problems. This is probably the worst install of Kubuntu I have experienced. Mostly of the display, theme, colors problems, but I may leave that to another post.

Running terminal today and there was only partial history when using the UP arrow. The
    Code:
    history
    command showed that only partial history is being kept ? If I ENTER a command, the history is kept, but if I use Shift-Ctrl-V to paste a previously copied command, the history is NOT kept.

Which reminds me of another paste problem also, where the foreground color is changed to white, so I cannot see the text. This happens after a copy and then positioning the mouse in the same field/box.

Are these two problems related, in that they both seem to be sourced from paste ??

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Kubuntu 20.04.1 fresh install - paste problems ??

Try creating a new user and see if that helps. Perhaps there's something(s) in your profile that 20.04 doesn't like. (I can't say I've ever had this problem though, and I've had no problems installing and using Kubuntu 20.04.)
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Try creating a new user and see if that helps.
    Okay thanks, I'll try that. I did read up more and issued a
    Code:
    history -a
    yet that works (up arrow to retrieve) for some commands and not others ??

The commands that were pasted (Shift, Ctrl-V) and were retrieved with the up arrow are ..

Code:
    journalctl -b
    sysctl fs.inotify.max_user_watches
    sudo sysctl -w fs.inotify.max_user_watches=524288
    sysctl fs.inotify.max_user_watches
    grep -i -r "guitar"  *.txt
    plus any commands entered manually can be seen in history or UP arrow. Yet this command doesn't appear in history or UP arrow ??

Code:
    grep -i guitar **/*txt
    ... later, now it does ?? Unless there is some sort of delay in writing to .bash_history file ?
    Last edited by oygle; January 5th, 2021 at 01:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It's working okay now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If I have more than one terminal open, then not all commands yet seem to be in history to be seen from other terminal.
    I like that I can open terminal in Kate, but used to Ubuntu and having separate terminal, so now often have two or more open at one time.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.