Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grub2 Triple Boot Ubuntu Win 10 and Win 7

Beans

Re: Grub2 Triple Boot Ubuntu Win 10 and Win 7

If you have some software you need on windows 7, then the setup you currently have is the best you can do. Ubuntu in Legacy mode will boot windows 7 but not windows 10. It is possible to install windows 10 in Legacy mode but NOT on a GPT drive. You can change the windows 10 drive from GPT to msdos but that obviously will delete all the data and mean a complete reinstall of windows 10. So your options are to have Ubuntu Grub boot itself and windows 7 and when you want windows 10, you need to make the change in the BIOS on boot. If you install Ubuntu UEFI, you will be able to boot windows 10 from Grub but not windows 7.

can I just do a clean install of Win10 again, but pay heed to a possible initial setup choice of setting to Legacy BIOS?
    That alone won't do it as I indicate above.. If you want windows 10 in Legacy, you need an msdos rather than GPT drive. If you can use the specific software you currently have on windows 7 on windows 10, that would be the best and simplest option. Reinsasll Ubuntu UEFI to access windows 10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Well, I agree with all that you have said, with one hitch. The monitor (TV) is 3840 x 2160 pixels and I have tried different combinations of settings to get the ACAD icon sizes increased so I can easily see them. ACAD2000 displays nicely in Win7 32bit, but creates difficulties for me in WINE. And I tend to panic when I cannot get the WINE 32 prefix set up to run ACAD in Ubuntu.

So I would like to move to 20.04LTS (which I am already using on another computer) with a UEFI install, use Win10 as is, and do a fresh install of Win7 in UEFI mode. I googled re Win 7 and seems if I set computer BIOS to UEFI mode (believe I have seen how to do this) before a Win7 install to HDD, it will install in UEFI mode. You noted that PC UEFI might not boot legacy, although I would try this 1st to avoid reinstalling Win7.

To be clear, each OS is on its own HDD and yes, I always disconnect all but the HDD I am installing to. Developed this habit many many years ago after making a mistake. I do not believe security is an issue as I have no private information on our computers, with the exception of tax time in which case I may temporarily store a file on HDD while I am doing taxes, but usually try and store all tax info off on USBs.

Beans

If you plan to try to install windows 7 UEFI, I would definitely do some research by reading several sites describing the process. If you want windows 7 in UEFI, disable Legacy/CSM in the BIOS before booting the installer. Windows 10 in UEFI needs to be on a GPT drive so I imagine it is the same for windows 7.

You noted that PC UEFI might not boot legacy,
    Not sure what you are referring to but Grub in UEFI definitely won't boot a Legacy windows, tried it in a number of ways and all I have read indicates the same. If you run sudo update-grub you won't see an entry for windows 7.

I do not believe security is an issue as I have no private information
    I think the security issue is less to do with data on your computer and more to do with using an unsupported and insecure system like windows 7. If you don't use it on the internet, no problem as you won't be exposing the computer to being hacked and causing problems for others.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I tried to install ACAD in Win10, but Win10 will not accept it. So I will forge ahead with a 20.04 UEFI install (currently in progress), then try and setup the Win7 on UEFI. Again, Win7 is targeted to a dedicated HHD so that should reduce complications. And yes, good idea - I should be able to disable WiFi for Win7 use.

It is very convenient that my top end computer has 4 HDD bays and I have multiple HDDs. Thus my messing with things, not always sure of what I am doing, is done at low risk.
    Last edited by mark bower; January 2nd, 2021 at 10:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I was not familiar with the software ACAD2000 which now seems to be the stumbling block in this thread.

I had a quick search and found a software package produced in 2000 with the last revision in 2002 - is that correct?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I am not sure of ACAD revision; copyright is 1999.

My 20.04 fresh install did not go well. I was hoping for choice of UEFI or Legacy, but given those options. Pls see atch image. Prior to the install, I chose UEFI BIOS settings: Boot Device Control: 1) UEFI & Legacy OPROM and 2) Boot from Storage Devices: Ignore. I do not know what the relevance of the storage devices is and if that refers to the HHDs? I have include atchs which gives the options in CSM. Initiating a Grub2 did not pick up the Win10 drive.

So, ready for another advised install?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you have UEFI Secure Boot on, it typically does not want to let you boot from any other storage device like a USB port storage drive as that is insecure.
    So you have to allow USB boot or full USB support.

How you boot install media, UEFI or BIOS is how it installs for both Windows & Ubuntu.
    Some tools like Rufus make a UEFI only (UEFI/gpt) or BIOS only (CSM/MBR) install flash drive. Most tools make it for both, but then you have two options in UEFI boot menu. One clearly UEFI and other not or the BIOS option. Usually just shows name or label of flash drive.
    CSM - UEFI Compatibility Support Module (CSM), which emulates a BIOS mode, only available with secure boot off.

UEFI boot settings are then for your installed system.
    On one of my systems, it would only boot in UEFI mode with UEFI only. UEFI or CSM option always booted in BIOS mode.

More info in link in my signature on UEFI boot.

Shows live installer with screen shots. Both BIOS purple accessibility screen & UEFI black grub menu screen 20.10 uses grub for both
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2194280
    Duckhook's suggestions
    "Simple", "3D" & "CAD" do not mix. Choose two out of three.
    3D + CAD = TurboCAD (not that powerful), AutoCAD (the 800 lb Gorilla of CAD, but only Windows)
    Simple + 3D = Blender (awesome), BRL-CAD, FreeCAD (but despite the name, it isn't really CAD—It's a modeler)
    Simple + CAD = LibreCAD, FreeCAD (as above—primitive CAD functionality), QCad, VariCAD
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2439214

There is an active project called FreeCAD[1] which has been designed as a kind of CAD platform. It has a built in Python intepreter and everything about it can be altered using Python modules. It's massively extensible and powerful. The GUI frontend only provides access to a tiny tiny subset of what the backend can do.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/free-cad/
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mark bower View Post
    I am not sure of ACAD revision; copyright is 1999.

My 20.04 fresh install did not go well. I was hoping for choice of UEFI or Legacy, but given those options. Pls see atch image. Prior to the install, I chose UEFI BIOS settings: Boot Device Control: 1) UEFI & Legacy OPROM and 2) Boot from Storage Devices: Ignore. I do not know what the relevance of the storage devices is and if that refers to the HHDs? I have include atchs which gives the options in CSM. Initiating a Grub2 did not pick up the Win10 drive.

So, ready for another advised install?
    Try this option - Boot Device Control > UEFI only (your second screenshot)

Each vendor implements their UEFI set up pages to their own recipe so it is difficult to offer perfect individual advice.
    However, I'm sure that the correct option is available somewhere in the UEFI menu.

You can check that you have booted in UEFI mode before installing by opening a terminal:-
    Code:
    [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "UEFI mode" || echo "Legacy mode"
    Last edited by tea for one; January 3rd, 2021 at 12:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

o.k., I messed with a number of options for installing the OSes, and below is where I am at. I would stress that I could find no way to get Win7 to install as UEFI.

Drive 1 - Ubuntu 20.04, installed with CSM set to UEFI or UEFI, UEFI enabled
    Drive 2 - Win10 installed with CSM set to UEFI, UEFI enabled
    Drive 3 - Win7, installed with CSM set to UEFI &Legacy OPROM, BIOS enabled

When I installed Win7 with CSM set to UEFI & Legacy OPROM, the BIOS utility sees the Win7 install DVD, but grub2 does not see it.

So I can set CSM to UEFI only or UEFI & Legacy OPROM, and boot either Ubuntu or Win10. To boot Win7, I must set CSM to Legacy Only - and then the other OSes are not available. Please see atch which shows these options.

So this may be what I have to live with. But pure and simple, is there no way to get/trick a Win7 (32bit) to install in UEFI mode?

@oldfred - my CAD drawings are limited to 2D and a bit of a stretch for me to become acquainted with other software other than the ACAD version I continue to use. But thanks for the effort to outline other possibilities.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

While I still do not recommend Windows 7, its original DVD required you to copy to flash drive & move files around & rename them to make it UEFI bootable.
    Supposedly the revised SP1 Windows 7 release included the updates to make it UEFI bootable.

The original 64-bit Win7 DVD did NOT have /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi.
    The /EFI directory only contains /microsoft with a number of different boot manager .efi files.
    The 64-bit Win7 DVD with SP1 integrated in DID have /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi in addition to /EFI/microsoft/<various files>.efi (among others)
    So MS apparently figured out EFI booting between Win7 and Win7SP1.

Windows only installs to MBR(msdos) partitioned drives in BIOS mode.
    Windows only installs to gpt partitioned drives in UEFI mode.
    Conversion for MBR to gpt erases entire drive, so have good backups.
    Microsoft suggested partitions including reserved partition for gpt & UEFI:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ive-partitions

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2304736
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...n-to-uefi.aspx
    Convert Windows from BIOS/MBR to UEFI/gpt.
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-c...efi-windows-10
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...n-to-uefi.aspx

Some have posted that Windows mbr2gpt really only works for data drives, and Linux tools like gdisk work better for data drives anyway.
    Best to plan new install.
    Last edited by oldfred; January 4th, 2021 at 04:36 AM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast