Thread: What is best Ubuntu Bitcoin Wallet Software

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What is best Ubuntu Bitcoin Wallet Software

I am looking at buying a few dollars of bitcoin to get my feet wet. I see websites recommending various bitcoin wallet programs for linux. There are a least 10 different ones according to one website. I am hoping that someone has done an analysis of what would be the best one. There seems to be 3 different types of bitcoin wallets: Full Clients, Lightweight Clients (simplified payment verification "SVP"), and On Line Wallets (just vendors that will buy/sell for you, but keep the bitcoin in their name). I don't think I have enough hard disk storage (~350GB) and enough Internet speed to support a full client, and I don't really want to leave money with a vendor that will keep the bitcoin in their name and charge me rent, so I am stuck with an SVP wallet. So I am asking what is the best SVP wallet for linux? Needs to be pretty bug free, secure, and not too hard to use. Also, free. And it would be nice if the wallet could handle other cryptocurrencies (like ethereum) as well.
    Last edited by Ralph L; December 29th, 2020 at 04:10 AM.

Beans

Re: What is best Ubuntu Bitcoin Wallet Software

You can't go wrong with Electrum.

This is the reliable, old school wallet that you know you can trust. Learn how to verify signatures with gpg if you don't know how to do this already (never caught anything suspicious doing this, but it is a good habit).

Bitcoin.org can help you choose your wallet too.

Beans

How safe is it to keep all your money on a cryptocurrency exchange? I recently bought bitcoin for few thousand dollars on https://bikkex.com/exchange/BTC-USDT exchange. And my bitcoins are still on the exchange.
    Last edited by sedkior; July 26th, 2021 at 08:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

sedkior
    You give me a chance to philosophize. Thank you.
    Bitcoin is a Ponzi schemes. It has no value. It is not investing (in the sense that my old Economics book describes investing), but rather speculation (or gambling). And its damaging to the planet (both mining and actually buying and selling Bitcoin, because of computer energy use). But its great for concealing illegal money transfers. All that being said, note that gold is also a Ponzi scheme. It has very little use in industry, just a little in electronics and jewelry. But the gold Ponzi scheme has lasted for centuries, so don't knock Ponzi schemes too much. And if Bitcoin speculation replaces gold speculation, it might prevent tearing up the earth with gold mines like is happening in the desert mountains where I live. And remember Bernie Madoff with $50 billion in his Ponzi scheme.
    But to answer your original question: I store my money in Vanguard ETFs like the S&P 500. They are only half a Ponzi scheme. In other words they are overpriced and go up and down in value (the Ponzi part), but the other half is an actual investment that produces useful goods and services. And the S&P 500 has always recovered from crashes, although it has sometimes taken more than a decade. So, no, I don't recommend Bitcoin. <End of my philosophizing>
    Last edited by Ralph L; July 30th, 2021 at 11:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

^^^^ IMO, i thought i was a pyramid scheme. what do i know! it might still have a long way to go, just dont get at the bottom....
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans

sedkior, I would rather compare different exchange platforms before making any rush. It reminds me a moment, when few months ago, I've been playing on bitcoin gambling site called TowerBet, and when I was out of bitcoins, it took only few minutes to find the most profitable bitcoin exchanger online, and that exchange operation - actually save the whole game set for me.
    Last edited by juniors331; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:13 PM.