Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overwhelmed and need help

Beans

Overwhelmed and need help

Hello, I am a Windows user. I have a dated HP dv9700 laptop that I do not use since it is running Windows Vista. I read recently online that I might be able to revive the laptop by installing Ubuntu. I am ok with replacing the Windows OS system completely. I do not know where to start. Ubuntu version to install? Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Overwhelmed and need help

pappadan; Hello - Welcome to the Forum

We are here to help - that direction of help depends a lot on the hardware.
    dated HP dv9700 laptop
    As the CPU specs are fairly decent - the bottle neck to run the high end ubuntu release may be how much ram is available.
    xubuntu and lubuntu are flavors dedicated to the lower ended machines. these may be of consideration for your install.

The install process is easy and straight-forward:
    Doiwnload the ISO image of choice-
    copy the .ISO to a USB thumb drive (for instance)
    boot the USB
    choose "wipe disk and install ubuntu"
    As a first time installer keep it simple and follow the wizard
    Follow the prompts to set a user name and password - Remember this password >> it will be much needed.
    Once the install completes - reboot the machine and
    Have fun.

so easy
    even a cave man can do it
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Looking at the specs of your HP, Lubuntu is the right Linux OS.
    Download from:

https://lubuntu.me/downloads/

Choose 20.04.1 (focal Fossa) and download the .ISO file.

Burn a DVD with the .ISO file using a DVD burning program.

Boot your HP, press F10 and select CD/DVD as first boot device. Save. Open DVD drive and power down.

Insert the DVD and reboot. Listen to the DVD working for 4...10 min. When you land on the desktop, select Install.

Cheers.
    Last edited by ml9104; December 29th, 2020 at 12:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

@Bashing-om
    "copy the .ISO to a USB thumb drive (for instance)"

Sorry, but you skipped over this one a bit too quickly IMO. This is exactly where most installations fail with endless frustration. And just "copying" won't work. At least you'll need to use dd.
    DVD works every time.
    And not setting up the BIOS is failure point #1. You skipped that little detail as well.
    Last edited by ml9104; December 28th, 2020 at 11:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It came with Vista......so there shouldn't be anything needed to do in the BIOS. D-l the .iso file, burn it to a disk or USB as an iso, boot to the iso and follow the on screen instructions. When it asks about what to do with the install, choose "Erase entire disk and install. And I would not try Ubuntu.....go with Xubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Lubuntu or xubuntu would be a good choice to go with that specs. Personally I'll go for lubuntu.
    Icon Set for Gnome/Deepin/eOS/Budgie
    | Spring | Autumn | Winter | Summer |

Beans

More RAM will help. Use Rufus or Etcher to put the ISO on a USB stick and reboot. Tell your BIOS to boot USB (probably F11 or F12). Part of the installation offered is to wipe the entire disk and install Ubuntu. This will destroy all data so be sure to backup all the data you want in Windows to a USB drive / cloud storage / other system on your network / whatever so you can restore it to the Ubuntu system.
    Let the installer do its thing and enjoy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    It came with Vista......so there shouldn't be anything needed to do in the BIOS. D-l the .iso file, burn it to a disk or USB as an iso, boot to the iso and follow the on screen instructions. When it asks about what to do with the install, choose "Erase entire disk and install. And I would not try Ubuntu.....go with Xubuntu.
    You don't burn to USB. It is a magnetic media. You burn an optical media like a DVD or CD because the laser to put the data on the disk is more intense than the one used to read it. Applications like Rufus simply copy the data from the downloaded file and then make the drive bootable

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    You don't burn to USB. It is a magnetic media. You burn an optical media like a DVD or CD because the laser to put the data on the disk is more intense than the one used to read it. Applications like Rufus simply copy the data from the downloaded file and then make the drive bootable
    They copy the data, but they don't copy the file. That's why people use the word "burn" even though there aren't any lasers: so that the user doesn't end up with a thumb drive with just an iso file on, wondering why it doesn't work.

Using "burn" is an anachronistic quirk of language, which is harmless, like using the word "rewind." Using the word "copy" might leave a user in the lurch.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    They copy the data, but they don't copy the file. That's why people use the word "burn" even though there aren't any lasers: so that the user doesn't end up with a thumb drive with just an iso file on, wondering why it doesn't work.

Using "burn" is an anachronistic quirk of language, which is harmless, like using the word "rewind." Using the word "copy" might leave a user in the lurch.
    Just clarifying. I did add "copy the data from the downloaded file" which is pretty clear.
    It'd be nice if you could just copy the downloaded file. That'd be grand

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast