Thread: windows 10 necessary in Virtualbox?

Beans

windows 10 necessary in Virtualbox?

Hi,
    I installed Virtualbox hosted on Windows 10 on my laptop in order to run ubuntu. In the help videos, I saw that they had Windows 10 also installed on Virtualbox, so I downloaded a Windows 10 iso file, and created a Windows 10 installation in Virtualbox. However, since my Virtualbox is hosted on Windows, I'm not sure if it was necessary to do that.
    Since my disc space is getting cramped, I'd like to remove the Windows 10 instl in Virtualbox, and delete the corresponding iso file. But so far, ubuntu is working, and I'm scared to change anything. Can I safely remove the Windows 10 instl from Virtualbox and delete the iso file?

Beans

Re: windows 10 necessary in Virtualbox?

Thread moved to the "Virtualisation" forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If your sole objective is to run Ubuntu inside Virtualbox as per your first sentence, then there is no need to install Windows in a separate Virtualbox VM. There can be reasons for choosing to do that but that's nothing to do with your stated objective of running Ubuntu. You can safely remove the Windows VM and the associated iso without affecting the Ubuntu VM.

Beans

If you open the VirtualBox Manager application, you can right-click on a virtual machine icon in the left column and choose "Remove." However you might first consider keeping a backup copy of the VM since you've already gone to the trouble of installing Windows. Right-click the Windows VM icon in the Manager and choose "Clone." Put the cloned copy in a safe place in case you want to use it again someday. If you're extra fastidious you can check the copy by creating a new VM using the clone and File > Import Applicance from the Manager's menu.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; December 28th, 2020 at 10:08 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thanks for the help!
    boffin5