Hey I have been trying for days to find a system of linux that goes on this macbook pro 2010. I like set it and forget it; this is what I've been able to achieve long term on my macbook pros using Mac OSX 10.11 and previously 10.8. However, Apple continues to throw heavier and heavier (and more useless) software our way, and so long term I want to get off of mac.

Problem is, I've been trying different flavors and there always seems to be something wrong with it. It freezes, it won't let me do something crucial easily, or it won't boot, or something. Trackpad issues, setting user password, it is always something, somewhere, that makes it get too difficult and too much complexity. I'm trying to make a basic internet machine with good interface so kids can do home school work.

These are goals at least for now. Long term would love something that had all of my desired software, but I'm starting to face facts that I may need to stick to Mac or Windows.

I've tried:
Ubuntu 20.04
Ubuntu Budgie 20.04
Manjaro
Elementary

Is there no distro of linux (ubuntu is preferred b/c of best and deepest documentation) that is fast fast fast and just works out of the box?

Perhaps I didn't give elementary enough of a try.

I loved Budgie but it started freezing every few minutes.

I see people talking about using Linux as a daily driver which doesn't make any sense to me, as I've poured countless hours into getting this to work so far and no go.

I did previously give new life to an old iMac 2007 with Ubuntu. I thought it would be super easy on the MBP too but is it just not? I keep seeing hints here and there that Gnome doesn't play nicely with macs, or maybe just with macbook pros. Is this Gnome 3 only or also Gnome 2? Would putting Ubuntu 18.04 on save a lot of the heartache? Is there any downside to switching to 18.04?