Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with disroot.org?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Any experience with disroot.org?

Seasons greetings to all!

I am on a mission to withdraw from my remaining Google addictions and one of the options is this one: https://disroot.org

Does anyone have any experience with them? Their site and public presentation are rather, well, shall we say, bohemian but that doesn't really bother me. I'm more interested in their resiliency, uptime/downtime, track record and any experiences, both good and bad, that forum members may have with them.

My account application is pending approval. I will report back with my own experiences once/if approved.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Any experience with disroot.org?

Don't know if you have seen this yet DH : https://privacy-watchdog.io/the-trut...t-disroot-org/
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    Don't know if you have seen this yet DH : https://privacy-watchdog.io/the-trut...t-disroot-org/
    Thanks for the link, 1fallen. Interesting. I will continue to accumulate data.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    I will continue to accumulate data.
    I wouldn't expect any different DH...
    Also as a side note, As some of you might have noticed, Microsoft (owner of Hotmail, Outlook, Live, Office360, etc.) is rejecting all emails originating from Disroot.org servers.
    I can't speak personally on this, I Don't use MS either....
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

…Microsoft (owner of Hotmail, Outlook, Live, Office360, etc.) is rejecting all emails originating from Disroot.org servers…
    "Curiouser and curiouser." That in itself could be a deal‑breaker for purely practical reasons. However, I am given to suspecting MS's motives too. They may not be above practising a bit of bullying and corporate gamesmanship if they believe that a platform like Disroot threatens their business model.

My research continues apace.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

"Curiouser and curiouser." That in itself could be a deal‑breaker for purely practical reasons. However, I am given to suspecting MS's motives too. They may not be above practising a bit of bullying and corporate gamesmanship if they believe that a platform like Disroot threatens their business model.

My research continues apace.
    he he he, Read on my friend: https://disroot.org/en/blog/microsoft_hostility
    PS: I thought you and i, learned to live within this "World Wide of Webbing "
    Last edited by 1fallen; December 28th, 2020 at 09:13 PM.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

A different perspective: https://digdeeper.neocities.org/ghos...l.html#Disroot

I should make it clear that I expect no perfect solutions because there are none. Every solution has different drawbacks. The old adage is perfectly valid: e-mail is a public medium and is not private. But there are nuances and then there are nuances.

Re: the first link from 1fallen

I am inclined to take this link with a heavy dose of salt. The blogger is riding a major rant and appears to be of the axe‑grinding sort. The "where there's smoke there's fire" mindset is also suspect. Complete, impartial data and calm, objective analysis are welcome; area 51 type conspiracy theories are not and only cast the objectivity of the author into question.

My objective is not to make my e-mails impenetrable. They never have been and never will be. Example: I sent my business associates some confidential docs through encrypted link. They massaged the document and then sent the attachment back in the clear. It didn't matter what measures I took; my carefulness was entirely neutralized and subverted by the carelessness of the other party.

One of my concerns is simply reliability. The other is that no data skimming or profiling be done. A third would be that servers are sufficiently well hardened to defeat malicious actors. I do have additional concerns, but they tend to fall off after these three.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

One other suggestion only: https://protonmail.com/
    Reviews are Good, and i personally use it.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

One other suggestion only: https://protonmail.com/
    Reviews are Good, and i personally use it.
    I already use it too. But in my case, I restrict its use to sensitive docs. This was the very platform that starred in my previous story of the carefully encrypted upload that was returned to me as an unencrypted attachment.

The problem with Protonmail is that it does not play at all with email clients. Since I have a number of e-mail accounts, it's important that they can all be managed under one e-mail client. And anyways, as per that previous story, the problem with e-mail is that it is only as strong as its weakest link. If its security provisions are too hard for wide adoption, it just won't get used. Someone will send something in the clear which will negate all the effort that is put in to securing a chain of communiqués.

I'm resigned to sending and receiving unencrypted e-mails. It's just the nature of the beast. If I've got sensitive stuff, it won't be sent as e-mail.

So the focus is not on secure e-mail transmission, but on secure storage and, most of all, a commitment to no harvesting of my data for profiling.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I will report back with my own experiences once/if approved.
    Please do!
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity: Knowing what one should do and doing differently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast