Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kernel 5.11

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Kernel 5.11

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    For the second day in a row "daily" (the only one available) is not booting here. It installs OK, and stalls on graphics enabling... Will follow. Other non-mainline kernels boot perfectly.
    Hi zika,

the mainline as of now:

Code:
    06d5d309a3f1 (HEAD -> master, origin/master, origin/HEAD) Merge tag 'kbuild-fixes-v5.12' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/masahiroy/linux-kbuild
    cd278456d4ca Merge tag 'csky-for-linus-5.12-rc1' of git://github.com/c-sky/csky-linux
    7d19ea5e9973 Merge tag 'riscv-for-linus-5.12-mw1' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/riscv/linux
    boots fine on my test computer. However, it is a CLI only server, no desktop GUI. so, proves nothing really.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Resolved on my side, also...
    Code:
    :~$ uname -r5.11.0-051100daily20210228-generic
    DRMTip and 5.12 still in the oven...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans

First time posting in Ubuntu Forum, so forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this.

Ubuntu 20.10, with Linux kernel 5.11 (tried 5.11-rc2, 5.11, 5.11.1, 5.11.3). System boots, but display is corrupted. See attached image.

System specs: Ryzen Pro 4750G APU Renoir, 64GB RAM, Integrated Graphics.

Is this is a known issue ?

Problem doesn't occur with kernel 5.10.20.

Thanks.

-Hock
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tome74 View Post
    First time posting in Ubuntu Forum, so forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this.
    Hi, and welcome.

Ubuntu 20.10, with Linux kernel 5.11 (tried 5.11-rc2, 5.11, 5.11.1, 5.11.3). System boots, but display is corrupted. See attached image.
    System specs: Ryzen Pro 4750G APU Renoir, 64GB RAM, Integrated Graphics.
    Is this is a known issue ?
    Problem doesn't occur with kernel 5.10.20.
    That is a very interesting image. I have no idea if it is a known issue or not (I am a server person, with little to no knowledge of display issues.)
    The first thing for you to try is kernel 5.12-rc1. This will tell you if the problem has already been fixed. On Monday, try 5.12-rc2.

Also try mainline kernels 5.10 and 5.11-rc1. The purpose being to narrow down the faulty commit as much as possible. the next step would be to do a kernel bisection to isolate the exact commit. It'll take around 18 kernel compiles. Or, just wait long enough for someone else to figure it out.

EDIT: kernels such as 5.10.20 and 5.11.1 and such are deviations from the main mainline tree. My input towards isolating the issue is via the mainline tree only.

EDIT 2: Oh, I see that this was a major change for the 5.11 cycle. Link.

EDIT 3: See if you can find your issue listed here.
    Last edited by Doug S; March 5th, 2021 at 05:08 PM.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

Thanks for your reply. I will try out your suggestions for testing & isolating the issue.

Beans

Just tried with kernel 5.12-rc2. Problem with corrupted screen still occurs.

Beans
    Distro

Just tried with kernel 5.12-rc2. Problem with corrupted screen still occurs.
    ya, this is a lot of new code. Did you look at that list of issues link I gave. The first one listed looked like a contender for your issue to me. (i'll come back and edit in a direct link later).

EDIT: this new one, or is that you that entered it? But this is the one I thought of yesterday.
    Last edited by Doug S; March 6th, 2021 at 05:58 PM.

Beans

Yes, I entered the new one. Looked thru all the others, but none that has the kind of whole screen corruption that I'm seeing.

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I entered the new one. Looked thru all the others, but none that has the kind of whole screen corruption that I'm seeing.
    I see in that bug report that you bisected the kernel, which led to a patch set to try which you, and someone else, verified as fixing the issue. A huge time commitment, thank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast