Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zero clients - Ubuntu Virtual on Enterprise Linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Zero clients - Ubuntu Virtual on Enterprise Linux

SuSE s a fine distro! I ran it for a few years and don't remember many issues. A few guys in my LUG use SuSE today. The do because their employers are SUSE-Enterprise customers.

Well, if the guest VM runs on KVM with SPICE/qxl support, and the LAN performance is reasonable, I'm seeing 200+ fps with glxgears demos using openGL. My setup is this:
    • Ryzen 2600 w/ $70 nVidia GPU as kvm server 16.04
    • GuestVM running 20.04 ubuntu-Mate with qxl + SPICE
    • Laptop running 16.04 sng virt-viewer SPICE client. Core i5-8250U/8B RAM.
    • 2 GigE network hops between the client laptop and server VM host using cheap (15 gige switches). No wifi. No realtek NICs.

Octane 2.0 in the chromium browser was about 29,700 rnning in this environment.

Physical Server - hadar:
    Code:
    $ inxi -z
    CPU~Hexa core AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core (-HT-MCP-) speed/max~1432/3500 MHz Kernel~4.15.0-128-generic x86_64 Up~15 days 
    Mem~18557.8/32160.8MB HDD~1012.2GB(61.8% used) Procs~569 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.35
    Virtual Machine - regulus:
    Code:
    $ inxi -z
    CPU: 2x Single Core AMD Opteron 23xx (Gen 3 Class Opteron) (-SMP-) speed: 3493 MHz Kernel: 5.4.0-58-generic x86_64 Up: 10d 7h 21m
    Mem: 1453.9/3936.2 MiB (36.9%) Storage: 40.00 GiB (46.1% used) Procs: 176 Shell: bash 5.0.17 inxi: 3.0.38
    Laptop Client:
    Code:
    $ inxi -z
    CPU~Quad core Intel Core i5-8250U (-HT-MCP-) speed/max~956/3400 MHz Kernel~4.15.0-128-generic x86_64 Up~6 days 
    Mem~3632.3/7863.1MB HDD~564.1GB(15.1% used) Procs~376 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.35
    I didn't do anything special. You can see the uptime on each system.

SPICE is the best performing remote desktop that I know, by far. The connection from the laptop, to the KVM server, that makes the SPICE client/server connection:
    Code:
        /usr/bin/virt-viewer --connect qemu+ssh://hadar/system regulus &
    SPICE is not encrypted, however.

• Seeing 200-270 fps with glxgears over SPICE.
    • Using x2go as the remote desktop, glxgears runs around 45 fps for comparison.
    • Running with ssh -X glxgears gets around 32 fps.
    • Running natively on the laptop, glxgears runs around 60 fps.

SPICE is faster than native! I think that is more abot LLVMPipe in 20.04 than anything else.

SPICE rocks!

Visually, I can't tell the difference for anything over 60 fps. The laptop runs at: 1920x1080@60.01hz.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've been messing about with Steam's remote play. I was getting 50fps in World of Warcraft on my living room tv over a regular cat5e network at gigabit. But the client certainly isn't a zero client, i5 3470 + 8gb of ram. It is pxe booted though via LTSP. Even with something like that the client still matters. Over the same network I have an AM1 Sempron with 2gb of ram, it barely hits 30fps with the same load.

Beans

Thank you for the answers and efforts. I am not a passionate gamer. But I definitely believe the project is possible. And the quality of the video will be more than you have described, yes maybe not 200 fps.
    The host will have a Teradici 2240 processor card installed and the clients will be about 3-4 with TERA 2321. It is a proven technology in much bigger networks. The PCoIP sends pixels over LAN. It works.

I am going to continue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Much of this roundabout could have been avoided by saying - Teradici 2240 processor card and PCoIP with TERA 2321 clients in the first post.

https://www.teradici.com/web-help/te...eqs_by_env.htm says 16.04 Ubuntu or RHEL 7.2. EoL for 16.04 arrives in about 4 months. I didn't see any other supported OSes. I thought RHEL 7.2 was EoL years ago. Yep, ended November 30, 2017. I suppose this is the reason to run Ubuntu inside a VM under SuSE? So much for "more secure."

And from the VMware forums:
    At this time, VMware still plans on supporting PCoIP because our customers still have zero clients in use. However, we will not be adding any new features in PCoIP for Horizon. All new features are going to be developed with Blast Extreme.
    Thanks Tony
    VMware Horizon Product Manager
    The only articles I see on this PCoIP stuff is from Teradici and VMware or old from before SPICE being stable. VMware has left the building. Teradici doesn't really say "why" to use their stuff and their "how" documentation is old. A $250-$700 used adapter to support 4 $80-$200/ea clients in a server seems like shifting the costs, processing, towards a non-standard solution with lock in for hardware from 1 company, Teradici on the client and server sides.

Good luck. Of course, if you get it working and document it, we'd love to learn more! More alternatives are always nice.

People are usually going for r-pi like clients these days, which was where my head initially went.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12