Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zero clients - Ubuntu Virtual on Enterprise Linux

Beans

Zero clients - Ubuntu Virtual on Enterprise Linux

I am not an expert, neither programmer. I have used OpenSuse and Kubuntu for my desktop for many years. Really like Kubuntu.
    I am building a home server with zero clients. The question is:
    Should the virtual Ubuntu be a server version in order to connect several zero clients or desktop version will do the job?

Thank you !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Zero clients - Ubuntu Virtual on Enterprise Linux

I have no clue what a 'zero client' is. What is the point of a server that doesn't have any clients?

In general, desktop and server can run all the same network services. There are reasons for each. Setting networking on Ubuntu Server s text config files. Many default apps/tools that desktops get are not loaded. Also, the included drivers on Desktop are vastly expanded. I don't think Server gets any wifi or bluetooth drivers, for example.

What do you mean by 'virtual ubuntu'?
    Last edited by TheFu; December 28th, 2020 at 04:40 AM.

Beans

Zero client is smaller than a thin client. Does not have OS, storage, everything is on the server. Less maintenance. But it is a client, just quieter.
    Ubuntu will be installed as virtual OS onto SuSe Linux Enterprise Desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Let's cut the topology down to just the Ubuntu server -- however you have that set up, as a virtual machine on an OpenSUSE machine or not.

When you say you want an Ubuntu server, what exactly is it that you intend for it to do? What is it serving to these ethereal and ephemeral "Zero Clients"? What do you want to do with them?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

The idea is to be a home network with one centralized host and several clients. Less maintenance, saved money for stupid laptops and chromebooks every 1.5 year, hardened security of only one well made linux OS. It definitely includes GPU passthrough for gaming experience.
    Last edited by good+not-nice; December 28th, 2020 at 05:06 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Centralized host for what? Virtual machines? Game server?

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

Yes, game server and individual desktops.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by good+not-nice View Post
    Yes, game server and individual desktops.
    Don't think what you seek is realistically possible today, unless the games are Solitaire or Sudoku. The client hardware will be extremely important too. We just aren't there yet outside highly custom solutions like what nVidia + Google make. nVidia is charging fees for their software to connect into their high-end GPUs remotely.

It is a nice dream.

I'd love to use a $40 client and get 120 fps games working from my $70 nVidia GPU running in a VM somewhere on my LAN. That just isn't reality in 2020 or 2021.

Beans

If you have SUSE why do you need Ubuntu? Can't you just run a hypervisor on SUSE?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

^This is what I was getting at, but trying to coax you to getting there on your own by asking leading questions.

Having virtual machines within a virtual machine, although certainly possible, is not particularly desirable. Best to use VMs on physical machines that offer a more reasonable amount of processor and memory resources.

Remember that a VM runs in a software environment that virtualizes the hardware in an abstraction layer. Software within software is bound to produce less than optimal results.

Just put several VMs in your OpenSUSE host. There is nothing at all wrong with that -- Ubuntu is not the whole show and even here at the UF we wouldn't tie you to the whipping post for using it!

And to tag on to TheFu -- a consumer-grade gig ethernet home network is simply not going to transmit graphical data between the host and the client machine fast enough to have smooth game play -- even if the client has the best graphics in the world. You can do pretty well if you do a pass-through when the guest OS is on the same host machine you are in front of, but you really need a second GPU for that because the guest will take full control of the GPU assigned and leave the host with nothing.
    Last edited by QIII; December 28th, 2020 at 08:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast