Thread: GRUB terminal appears after fixing GRUB menu

Beans

Question GRUB terminal appears after fixing GRUB menu

Hello guys, I have a PC with 3 hard disks

SSD #1 (Dedicated to Ubuntu 18.04 OS) [SATA3_0]
    SSD #2 (Dedicated to Windows 10 OS) [SATA3_1]
    HDD #3 (For other files)
    [SATA3_2]

Usually, when I boot my system, I get a GRUB menu from where I can choose a specific OS to load (Ubuntu or Windows). For some reason, I had to Reinstall Windows after which I was unable to load Windows from the GRUB menu as it was got corrupted. To fix it, I followed this post and repaired the GRUB

Everything is fine now, I can load both OS without any problem, but there is one small confusion, when I checked the boot order in BIOS I found one extra entry ubuntu (SATA3_1) i.e. Ubuntu boot manager on Windows hard disk. Usually, there should be only 2 options

Windows Boot Manager (SATA3_1)
    ubuntu (SATA3_0)

If I boot from ubuntu (SATA3_0) a GRUB menu appears where I can choose the OS to load and both OS loads without any problem, but when I boot from ubuntu (SATA3_1) a GRUB terminal appears

So my question is can I delete this entry
    ubuntu (SATA3_1) somehow, does deleting it will corrupt Windows or Ubuntu boot manager or should I just leave it, as it's not creating any problem

Beans

Re: GRUB terminal appears after fixing GRUB menu

It shouldn't be a problem but it would best to run the Create BootInfo Summary option from Boot Repair and post the link here with the details since you already have boot repair. Grub files should never be on a windows partition so I don't know how that happened.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Boot-Repair should tell us you have an old install of grub that is trying to boot from your data drive's MBR if BIOS or old UEFI entry if UEFI.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    It shouldn't be a problem but it would best to run the Create BootInfo Summary option from Boot Repair and post the link here with the details since you already have boot repair. Grub files should never be on a windows partition so I don't know how that happened.
    Should I re run boot repair to collect "Create BootInfo Summary" results, I will not perform boot repair will it be safe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Yes, as requested by yancek and oldfred, please re-run Boot-Repair and create a Boot Info Summary without performing the boot repair itself.

It will be extremely safe to just create a Boot Info Summary.