Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bootable USB stick on MacOS

Beans

Bootable USB stick on MacOS

I'm following the instructions on Ubuntu Tutorials for creating a bootable Ubuntu USB stick. For step #2 ("Requirements"), one is supposed to download an Ubuntu ISO file. A link is provided called "Get Ubuntu" to give one download links.

Upon clicking on "Get Ubuntu," there are a number of links but none that mention USB sticks. Which link on this page should be used for downloading an ISO file for a USB stick?

I'm new to Ubuntu--I have a second thread dealing with my attempt to create a bootable USB stick for use on a PC.

I'd appreciate any assistance with this matter. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Bootable USB stick on MacOS

With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans

Moved to the "Apple Hardware Users" forum.

Beans

Thanks for the reply. That method may be better, but it's too complicated for a simple boy like me. The Ubuntu Tutorial doesn't look too bad for a non-tech person, it just doesn't provide any information about creating a Ubuntu ISO file for a USB.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It really isn't that hard, just overwhelmed by all the text there.
    That is after all, a part of the linux journey. (learning)
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Download the ISO file that matches the CPU architecture for the system. Almost nobody creates ther own ISO. I haven't since some time in the 1990s. google "ubuntu download" to find a mirror download website.

There are slightly different flavors and releases for ubuntu. New people today should get a 20.04.x LTS release. The choice of GUI depends on the specific hardware i will be run using. The default Ubuntu is heavy and should be avoided if using a flash drive. Pick xubuntu or lubuntu instead. These work well on lower-end GPUs and use less CPU. You can always always change to GUI in about 3-5 minutes.

I only use USB linux for installing or to troubleshoot full installs. Running off usb will always be slow, except for speecfic releases lke tinycore deigned to load everything into ram before running.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

@1fallen, the OP is trying to follow the official Ubuntu tutorial which is beautifully presented and which is far easier for a newcomer.

@llama99, I assume you are following this tutorial: https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-...cos#1-overview . If you want help with a tutorial you have found, please in future provide a link. That way, members helping you don't have to waste time googling to identify it.

To answer your questions. Any ISO is suitable for writing to a USB device. In step 2 of that tutorial, in the Get Ubuntu link, choose Ubuntu Desktop. Then choose 20.04.1 LTS. That's the long term support version, supported for 5 years. 20.10 is an interim release supported only for 9 months and not really suitable for a newcomer.

Quote Originally Posted by llama99
    The Ubuntu Tutorial doesn't look too bad for a non-tech person, it just doesn't provide any information about creating a Ubuntu ISO file for a USB.
    Oh, yes it does. Steps 3, 4, 5, and 6 tells you exactly how to prepare a USB on a Mac.

If you get stuck, do post back. Good luck.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Upon clicking on "Get Ubuntu," there are a number of links but none that mention USB sticks. Which link on this page should be used for downloading an ISO file for a USB stick?
    No such thing.
    All ISO can be ported to a usb stick or dvd or other media.
    None are specifically created for any one media type.

Edit: Ninja'd
    coffeecat's explanation is better, imo.
    Last edited by deadflowr; December 23rd, 2020 at 07:11 PM. Reason: ninja's by a better answer. Remove accidental bolding
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    @1fallen, the OP is trying to follow the official Ubuntu tutorial which is beautifully presented and which is far easier for a newcomer.
    Agreed it is better written and easier for new users to follow.
    Hard/Complicated/Technical to me is viewed differently is all.
    BTW: Good to see your presence. Been a minuet or two.

EDIT: Must say I'm a bit embarrassed, the poster had two post's of similar nature.
    one for the Mac Book and one for HP laptop, needless to say I posted in the wrong thread.
    Sorry for any confusion on my part.
    Last edited by 1fallen; December 24th, 2020 at 04:19 PM.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans

Thanks everyone. I returned to the Ubuntu tutorials and downloaded "Ubuntu 20.04.1" to the Mac. This corresponds to step 2 as shown in this link:

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-...2-requirements

Then I dragged what I downloaded onto the USB stick, which I assume is the correct procedure. When I click on what I downloaded, I get a box with this message: "The following disk images couldn't be opened. . .No mountable file systems." Below is a screenshot, hopefully readable.

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 2.09.56 PM.jpeg

I did the same download again and got the same result. Any tips on downloading Ubuntu 20.04.1?
    Last edited by coffeecat; December 23rd, 2020 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Reduced giant thumbnail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast