Thread: Ubuntu on USB

Beans

Ubuntu on USB

I'm trying to create a Ubuntu bootable flashdrive so that I can use it on my HP Stream laptop as the operating system (without installing it). I went to this website for the downloading: https://www.pendrivelinux.com/univer...easy-as-1-2-3/

I downloaded "something" on the USB, not sure if I downloaded the right thing. I chose the option that doesn't retain any settings etc. to the flashdrive. At first I got an error message saying, "UUI couldn't find a configuration file. Ubuntu cannot be installed using this option."

But then something was installed. I have these files on the USB: uui, license, Uni-USB-Installer-Copying, and Uni-USB-Installer-Readme. None of these seem to allow for using Ubuntu on the flashdrive. Am I missing something? If not, how do I use these files?

I'm new to Ubuntu and have a second thread pertaining to creating a bootable USB stick for use on a Mac.

Thanks for any assistance.
    Last edited by llama99; December 23rd, 2020 at 06:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu on USB

The software you mention is for Windows only. Meaning: It is intended to be run from Windows, not OSX.
    And obviously it isn't to be downloaded or run from the USB stick you want to use for the Ubuntu installer or Ubuntu installer with persistence.

If you actually follow the instructions in the link you provided it should work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Here is another site for perusal:-

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/try-ubu...etting-started

You will need 4GB RAM to use Ubuntu in a live session.

If you have only 2GB, then have a look at Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

Beans

Thanks, I'll try that last link if I can't get the original one to work. I went back to: https://www.pendrivelinux.com/univer...easy-as-1-2-3/ and gave it another shot. I wasn't able to provide an ISO file which stopped the whole process. How do I come up with one of those?

I'll quote what someone wrote elsewhere which shows what I'm trying to do: "The hdd can be bypassed bycreating a Linux Ubuntu bootable flash drive and use Ubuntu without installing it. It will use all
    of the computer's hardware except the hdd. It would be best to use
    an 8 GB flash drive. Here is one website that tells you how to do that and will create the bootable
    flash drive: Universal USB Installer - Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux

"With Ubuntu you have two choices....one will not retain anything to the flash drive and the other is
    to create one that retains settings and other things such as bookmarks and passwords on your browser. . .

"I am using Ubuntu as my main OS. I only boot up Windows 10 once a month or so to keep it updated."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by llama99 View Post
    I wasn't able to provide an ISO file which stopped the whole process. How do I come up with one of those?
    It's the self same ISO that you downloaded for your other thread.

By the way. You probably don't need to make one bootable USB for a Mac and one for a Windows PC. With one or two exceptions, bootable Ubuntu USBs made from ISOs will boot up on most machines.

Why not simply follow the Mac tutorial, but this time read the instructions right through to the end without making assumptions?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Do you want a full install of Ubuntu on a USB stick or just the Ubuntu live install with persistance? A full install requires two USB sticks, one for the installer and another bigger one to install to.

Beans

I'm looking for a full install of Ubuntu on a USB drive. I do have two USB drives, both of then 16 GB. I'm going to go ahead and follow these steps from the Mac tutorial: https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-...cos#1-overview after I iron out the proper steps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's really really not that difficult.

Download Ubuntu 20.04 LTS from here.
    -or-
    Download Ubuntu 20.10 from here.

Make sure the ISO file is saved in known, easy to find location (Downloads, ...)

Connect the pen you want to use for the installer and follow the remaining instructions https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-...cos#1-overview

If you describe exactly which part you don't understand we may be able to clarify:
    Download the ISO file > Launch Disk Utility > insert USB stick (for the installer), select it and Erase (msdos format / GUID) with Disk Utility > Download and run Balena Etcher for Mac > Select the ISO file (select image) and confirm or change the destination USB drive > Flash

Beans

Thanks, I did figure out what had confused me. Anyhow I ran into a snag which I described in the other thread: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....2455611&page=2