Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: converting thousands of Microsoft Paint .dwg to GNU Gimp

Beans

converting thousands of Microsoft Paint .dwg to GNU Gimp

I have thousands of drawings created in Microsoft Paint , now i am ditching all windows OS and going to Ubuntu , can the experts advise the best way to transition and convert my .dwg files from Paint into either GIMP or another app that will allow me to edit them ?

Secondly when i email GIMP sketches and drawings to customers , what apps will the receiver need to open them for viewing ? Will only GIMP be capable of opening them or are there other apps that can do so ?

thankyou

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: converting thousands of Microsoft Paint .dwg to GNU Gimp

Try FreeCAD, LibreCAD, OpenSCAD for your drawings. :-p
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

From the Art & Design sub-forum strapline:

Discuss various aspects of Ubuntu and Art here. Questions about using software for image editing should go in the Multimedia Software section.
    Thread moved to Multimedia Software.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Can't help with converting them to Gimp, but once in Gimp, choose the "Export as" option and there are a bunch of options for different formats.

Beans

there's lots of online converters but that will probably take ages if you have thousands .
    the best i could find is this , but you would probably have to buy the software

Beans

I'm a bit perplexed. The Microsoft Paint I know from way back is a (very) simple bitmap drawing program that originally produced files with the extension bmp; in later versions it could also work with a few other formats (tiff,jpg,png). Files with the extension 'dwg' are usually technical drawings (the format originated with Autodesk AutoCAD, I believe) in a format that Microsoft Paint can neither read nor write.

So what kind of files do you actually have ? There is a command line tool named 'file' in Ubuntu that will look inside a file and try to identify it's format. You might want to use that on one of your files to find out what they actually are.

If they are files produced with Microsoft Paint, then GiMP can import them with no trouble at all. If they are dwg-files, then GiMP can import them too, but that's really only useful if you want to included a CAD-drawing in a larger (bitmap based) work. The real question is whether GiMP is the right tool for the job at hand. If you're coming from Microsoft Paint, then it will probably be overwhelming since GiMP is more like Photoshop than like MS-Paint. There are other graphics programs that are closer to Paint which might be better for you. As already mentioned by others, GiMP has lots of export filters, so you can export your work into a format that others can use. The format GiMP uses when you save a file (usually with the extension '.xcf') is only useful for people who use GiMP.

If you've actually produced dwg-files, than any of the CAD programs mentioned by other posters will be better for you than GiMP.

Holger

Beans

Sorry you are absolutely correct , they are exportable as .BMP .png , Giff or Tiff ( My Christmas - mode brain confused it with my TurboCad .dwg format)

I dont mind learning Gimp as i am in for the long haul , whatever it takes to flush windows and adopt Linux systems is necessary due to the invasive nature of Windows 10 , and my computer upgrades will not run Windows 7 that i used for the previous 10 years.

I refuse to spend my life developing Intellectual Property while 50 foreign entities are copying everything i do.

My recent experiences with BitDefender and Folder Lock file encryption being breached was the final straw.

What are the other graphics programs that are closer to Paint please ?

thankyou to all for replies . ( and Merry Xmas )

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    I'm a bit perplexed. The Microsoft Paint I know from way back is a (very) simple bitmap drawing program that originally produced files with the extension bmp; in later versions it could also work with a few other formats (tiff,jpg,png). Files with the extension 'dwg' are usually technical drawings (the format originated with Autodesk AutoCAD, I believe) in a format that Microsoft Paint can neither read nor write.

So what kind of files do you actually have ? There is a command line tool named 'file' in Ubuntu that will look inside a file and try to identify it's format. You might want to use that on one of your files to find out what they actually are.

If they are files produced with Microsoft Paint, then GiMP can import them with no trouble at all. If they are dwg-files, then GiMP can import them too, but that's really only useful if you want to included a CAD-drawing in a larger (bitmap based) work. The real question is whether GiMP is the right tool for the job at hand. If you're coming from Microsoft Paint, then it will probably be overwhelming since GiMP is more like Photoshop than like MS-Paint. There are other graphics programs that are closer to Paint which might be better for you. As already mentioned by others, GiMP has lots of export filters, so you can export your work into a format that others can use. The format GiMP uses when you save a file (usually with the extension '.xcf') is only useful for people who use GiMP.

If you've actually produced dwg-files, than any of the CAD programs mentioned by other posters will be better for you than GiMP.

Holger

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by voxpopili View Post
    What are the other graphics programs that are closer to Paint please ?
    Depending on exactly what you want to get out of it, something like pinta or krita might suit you well.

Beans

When looking for alternatives on Linux to well known Windows programs my first stop is alternativeto.net. gpaint seems to be as close to MS Paint as you can get. I've fooled around with MyPaint for a while, and it's nice (but rather different from Paint, it's aimed at digital painting). Pinta seems to be to Paint what Notepad++ is to Notepad - similar in look and feel but much more powerful.

Holger

Beans

If you have been using Microsoft Paint then GIMP is way more than you need. It also has a steep learning curve. I have no doubt it will do what you need but you really should try something simpler to start with. I'd hate to see you get frustrated and abandon Linux.
    In Linux there are lots of options all generally aimed at different uses.
    What do you use these images for? That would help people here make better recommendations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast