Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu bash terminal

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu bash terminal

Quote Originally Posted by kubasmyk View Post
    For example using sudo commands is a bit "weird" in my opinion. on ubuntu the experience feels more complex as it needs to be?
    sudo isn't new for Ubuntu or Linux. It has been around and used since at least 1994. I remember using it on SunOS. There are thousands of fairly normal Unix commands which the point-n-click generation has either forgotten or never learned. Also, since Unix systems come in wide ranges of preinstalled setups, what 1 person thinks is "expected" usually has very little bearing on what is actually commonly installed.

Someone used to amd64 Ubuntu Desktop would think that amd64 Ubuntu Server was missing all sorts of common commands. It is not, but that depends on perspective. Actually, Ubuntu Server is fairly bloated when compared to other Server distros (except RHEL/CentOS). Because a Raspberry Pi is a much lower performance device and always has been relative to typical desktops, distros for it usually choose lighter-versions of software and don't usually pre-load common Desktop distro things.

When I got my first Pi v2 (not-b), 4G SDHC storage was commonly used and 16G was very expensive. These days, people think nothing of buying a 128G microSD storage for their Pi systems.

Anyway, every distro makes choices for some reason or another. Ubuntu made a bold choice around 2005 that the root account wouldn't be enabled by default and that to access it, sudo would be used. Other distros made other choices, which is fine. The entire point of having a different distro is to try new things. Plus, there is the added complexity of Grandma needing to remember 2+ users and passwords which Ubuntu's choice to use sudo has removed.

I can live with either choice, though I really do prefer the sudo method and set that up on distros which don't have it as central to systems management. I've been a Unix admin since about 1995, so at this point I'm fairly set in my ways. Some of those decisions were conveyed by my mentors and others were decided after doing something stupid. If I can keep the "stupid things" to just 1 a week, I figure I'm doing well. I usually fail at that goal, but I seldom make the same mistake twice.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by kubasmyk View Post
    Hi. I started with linux on a raspberry pi. I'm used to the way how the commands and privileges are setup on the pi.
    I was wondering if there is a way to make it the same on ubuntu.

For example using sudo commands is a bit "weird" in my opinion. on ubuntu the experience feels more complex as it needs to be?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    .... What does the OP think is different? I'm confused.
    It may be the file in /etc/sudoers.d on raspbian installs, called "010_pi-nopasswd" (or something like that, I am on my laptop not a pi unit, so I may have not have spelt the file name correctly).

This file has an entry that lets the user issue sudo commands but does NOT require the use of a password for any such command. I regard such set ups as extremely unsafe and as a result it is THE first change I make on any pi installation I intend to use on the internet. I comment out the line inside the file so the installation from then on forces me to use passwords on any administrative tasks.

I think this may be what the OP is referring to in that by default Ubuntu insists on any administrative tasks needing a password as well as just issuing the command with "sudo".
    Last edited by yetimon_64; December 24th, 2020 at 11:28 PM. Reason: change file name to 010_pi-nopasswd

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by yetimon_64 View Post
    It may be the file in /etc/sudoers.d on raspbian installs, called "010_pi-nopasswd" (or something like that, I am on my laptop not a pi unit, so I may have not have spelt the file name correctly).

This file has an entry that lets the user issue sudo commands but does NOT require the use of a password for any such command. I regard such set ups as extremely unsafe and as a result it is THE first change I make on any pi installation I intend to use on the internet. I comment out the line inside the file so the installation from then on forces me to use passwords on any administrative tasks.

I think this may be what the OP is referring to in that by default Ubuntu insists on any administrative tasks needing a password as well as just issuing the command with "sudo".
    Thanks for the clarification.

If this is indeed what the OP is referring to, then s/he is in need a bargeload of relearning.

@kubasmyk

I hope you are not thinking that nuking challenge/response is a good thing; it is definitely a bad thing. I've already pointed you to the link in my sig: Linux is Not Windows

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12