Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Netspeed for Xubuntu.

Beans

Re: Netspeed for Xubuntu.

Thanks for the replies.Appreciate it. Well as to your instructions i successfully add " Network Monitor" on my panel. Now the issue is I browse on internet but i can't see any statistic on it ? The Net Monitor is on grey colour.
    May be there is a need to add " Network device " name. Kindly guide me what name may I add in it so it may work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The command
    Code:
    ip route list default
    will tell you the device name for talking to the internet. For example, here's mine:
    Code:
    default via 192.168.0.1 dev eth0 proto dhcp metric 100

Beans

seems you have two devices you connect through? try either one and see what it does,i'm not sure.
    either add enol or wlp3s0 to network device name

edit: like The Cog said is better lol
    (there's probably a better command to find your network device,but i don't know it lol)
    and there it is
    Last edited by 3nd; December 23rd, 2020 at 11:07 AM.
    xubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (focal fossa)

Beans

Thanks all for your kind assistance/guidance.The " " Network Monitor" is working.
    There are many commands in linux,The thing that I want to ask about the following commands while are related to laptop hardware.
    Code:
     inxi -Fxzd
    also
    Code:
    dmsg
    what are the difference in between these.In my opinion which I understand is " dmesg " is more in detail output about the hardware while " inxi -Fxzd " shows very precise .

Code:
    ip route list default
    ip route is also a new command for me. Where I may learn about such commands which may helpful for analysing or configuring new things.

Beans

You can learn about commands through the manual and it's search function. The command to view the manual of a command is 'man command' (for example 'man dmesg') and the search is called with 'apropos keyword'. 'apropos' uses an index of all the words in the first paragraphs (which always contains a synopsis of what the command does) of all manual pages. Of course there's a manual page for 'apropos'.

'inxi' is actually a shell script that uses a lot of other commands to gather and format information about the hardware and software of the system.

'dmesg' on the other hand does something else entirely. It displays the messages that the kernel generates and can also be used to control the buffer in which these messages are stored. If something goes wrong in your system the kernel will leave a message about it in that buffer and 'dmesg' allowes you to view those messages.

Holger
    Last edited by Holger_Gehrke; December 23rd, 2020 at 01:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by gardenair View Post
    ip route is also a new command for me. Where I may learn about such commands which may helpful for analysing or configuring new things.
    ip is a huge command. I use ip route and ip address a lot. But you will likely never need to know most of its options. I certainly don't.
    Don't try to learn all possible commands. Just keep using the system, asking for help when you need it (as you have been doing), and reading about aspects that interest you. You will find about lots of commands, and slowly accumulate a set that you find useful and use a lot. You will also find many other commands that you just note that such things are possible, so you know roughly what to look for if you ever have need.

Everyone collects their own set of tools. They pick them up as they go along.

That said, there are lots of introductory web sites like these. Again, you don't need to memorise them all, but knowing they exist is a good start.
    https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/command...ers#1-overview
    https://linuxnewbieguide.org/overvie...-any-commands/
    Last edited by The Cog; December 24th, 2020 at 12:28 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12