Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VNC slow after kernel upgrade raspberry pi 4 with ubuntu 20.10

Beans

VNC slow after kernel upgrade raspberry pi 4 with ubuntu 20.10

Hello all!

I have an issue after upgrading the kernel 5.8.0-1007 to 5.8.0-1008 and above, my connection using VNC viewer to my raspberry pi 4 using ubuntu 20.10 was really slow, and this occur when I move the mouse. I use my pi headless, and before upgrading the kernel I doesn't had this issue. Can someone explain me why this happen to me?

I have a video to show this issue:
    https://youtu.be/d0rLwWov860

Hope someone can help me,

Best regards!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: VNC slow after kernel upgrade raspberry pi 4 with ubuntu 20.10

Is this a joke? You really expect a video to work over VNC? Seriously? I'm 100% serious, btw. That's just crazy.

If you want remote video, use SPICE. It is trivial to work under KVM/libvirt, but people have gotten it working under lxd https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org/...clipboard/2544 I've not tried that, but may. I just use many VMs and not so many physical systems.

Or on the same LAN, why not use remote X/Windows directly? It has been possible for 30+ yrs. This is part of X11, though using ssh to create a channel per application is much easier.
    https://blog.jdpfu.com/2010/09/07/ru...e-applications

Beans

I'm not expecting to view videos using VNC hahah because yes, that's crazy.

I'm using my pi to program and take advantage of the GPIO.
    The video I made is to see what happen when I move the mouse, the image freezes for a second or two, every time I move the mouse, but this doesn't happened with kernel 5.8.0-1007. That's what give me crazy to find a solution.

I'm using this on my LAN network through Ethernet, so the network isn't a problem.I'll try the suggestion of
    ssh to see.
    Sorry if I explain my error wrong.

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That video link has fish swimming around. That will eat all the bandwidth for any VNC desktop. I didn't notice any pointer since 20+ fish were swimming.

Remote X11 doesn't provide a desktop. It provides 1 application at a time.

Beans

Yes, my bad, you can start the video here to take a better look:

https://youtu.be/d0rLwWov860?t=60

As you can see, when I move the mouse, the network traffic drop to 0 and the video frezzes.

Thanks for your reply.

Best regards.
    Last edited by kazin08; December 21st, 2020 at 03:56 AM.

Beans

If you want to stream video from a Pi, just install openssh-server. Mount the SFTP service that this gives and play the media on a local player streaming the data from the Pi. VNC will not stream audio and video.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    If you want to stream video from a Pi, just install openssh-server. Mount the SFTP service that this gives and play the media on a local player streaming the data from the Pi. VNC will not stream audio and video.
    Thanks for your reply! but no, I don't want to stream videos on my pi. I only want to use it as a headless desktop to use vs studio and other things that don't need a lot of consumption, because my main idea is to use it outside my house (not always) with my VPN.

Again, thanks for your suggestion!

Can anyone tell me how can I go back to kernel 5.8.0-1007? Because I tried without success.

Best regards!

Beans

Hold SHIFT at boot and you can select the older kernel.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    Hold SHIFT at boot and you can select the older kernel.
    That's not possible on the pi. Pi don't use grub at boot, so it has to be in another way!

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kazin08 View Post
    I only want to use it as a headless desktop to use vs studio and other things that don't need a lot of consumption, because my main idea is to use it outside my house (not always) with my VPN.
    For remote desktop when I travel, I use x2go. It uses the NX protocol that leverages ssh and the GUI performance is 2-3x faster than any VNC. I don't know whether there is an x2go-server for ARM, however.
    https://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:i...erver#raspbian
    Looks like they have it for Raspbian.

Also, I know of 20.04 is the x2go-server, they broke something with ssh-key authentication. A password seems to be required even if ssh-keys are setup and working. I've not seen that on any other releases. Don't know about 20.10. That's too new for me and not an LTS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast